Huge-time faculty soccer recruiters thought a lot of Trey Lance’s quarterbacking expertise out of highschool that all of them wished him to maneuver to linebacker, or security, or broad receiver. Not what the previous three-sport high-school star hoped for. However Lance did not need to change positions — he wished to be a quarterback regardless of being a lanky child out of Marshall Senior Excessive Faculty, about 2.5 hours west of Minneapolis. One faculty fell in love with Lance: North Dakota State, who recruited Lance on the heels of turning Carson Wentz right into a top-2 choose within the NFL Draft.
Lance accepted — and proved them proper a 12 months later. As a redshirt freshman, Lance handed for two,786 yards and 28 touchdowns in 16 video games, including one other 1,100 yards and 14 touchdowns on the bottom. He additionally set an NCAA document for throwing essentially the most passes (287) with out a single interception in a season. It was greater than sufficient to earn him the Walter Payton Award for the most effective FCS-level participant in 2019. He is the one individual ever to get it as a freshman.
Lance’s remaining time at school was closely impacted by Covid-19. The Bison performed one recreation within the fall of 2020 (vs. Central Arkansas), choosing a spring schedule as a substitute. Lance performed within the recreation, a showcase of kinds for him, however appeared rusty within the first half earlier than rebounding within the second half for a win. He declared for the draft after that.
We’re breaking down the whole lot it’s worthwhile to learn about Lance from a Fantasy supervisor perspective, together with most closely fits, Dynasty outlook, measurables, scouting report, key stats and an NFL comparability.
Most quarterback-needy groups have a veteran prepared to start out Week 1. They need not put a rookie on the sector straight away. Lance’s terrific athleticism and powerful arm mixed with a profitable coaching camp might leapfrog him over Drew Lock in time for the beginning of the season, one thing that is robust to ascertain with different golf equipment. Furthermore, Lance can be within the saddle with one of many league’s youngest and most promising receiving corps and a fairly stable offensive line. His quickest monitor to Fantasy stardom additionally occurs to be the one with the most effective long-term prospects.
Is there a greater quarterback to assist put together and groom a powerful, versatile, two-way risk passer than Cam Newton? On prime of the teaching he’d get from Invoice Belichick and Josh McDaniels, Lance would have a relatable mentor in Newton whereas studying the sport from the sideline. Lance additionally might take over for Newton ahead of later, giving him a clouded-but-not-restrictive path to enjoying time. Lance has the mature psychological make-up that is good for the Patriots, too.
Fantasy managers must be fairly affected person if Lance heads to Atlanta as a result of Matt Ryan is not giving up his throne so shortly. Lance could very effectively take the identical path Patrick Mahomes did to enjoying time and never be heard from till very late 2021 or Week 1 of 2022. However pairing Lance’s unbelievable instruments with Arthur Smith’s adaptability mantra might someday create some unbelievable statistics.
The Steelers choose twenty fourth and must hand over a LOT to maneuver excessive sufficient to draft Lance, however it will be implausible in the event that they did. Like with Atlanta, and a bunch of different groups, Lance would look ahead to a 12 months earlier than taking on. Ben Roethlisberger is not going anyplace as long as his arm holds up. However the long-term concept of Lance slinging it to younger receivers like Diontae Johnson and Chase Claypool is terribly fascinating. That may be a number of athletic expertise for defenses to cope with.
Fantasy managers have realized to prioritize quarterbacks who put up dashing stats. Lance has finished loads of that. Paired along with his immense ceiling as a passer, there’s unbelievable upside right here. And it will get higher: Lance will not be a prioritized choose in a rookie draft that is fairly deep. Solely in a two-QB or deep Superflex dynasty league would Lance even get thought of with a top-10 total choose. However he may make it to the center of Spherical 2 and even Spherical 3 in one-QB codecs. That is unreal worth for a man who has the better-than-raw expertise to be an ideal Fantasy passer.
- Poised, sturdy physique that makes him tough to wrap up within the pocket (or anyplace else).
- Labored in a pro-style offense that noticed him line up below heart fairly a bit. Additionally labored in shotgun. Did a number of play-action and RPOs. Ready to deal with any scheme on the subsequent degree.
- Wonderful discipline normal. Studied, learn and understood defensive coverages very effectively. Truly dealt with safety requires North Dakota State as a redshirt freshman. Made nice selections with the soccer and usually had good ball placement.
- Was superb at reacting shortly to defensive adjustments post-snap and would shift his eyes and physique accordingly.
- Principally affected person within the pocket. At instances received distracted by blitzes and would drop his eyes or rush his throws, which led to incompletions.
- Very sturdy arm. Made each throw together with deep far-sideline outs and deep fades. There was constant proof of his passes touring effectively previous 45 air yards downfield.
- Knew when to range his arm energy. He had superb velocity when he wanted to tear a throw into a decent area, but additionally displayed good contact on shorter passes.
- Good anticipatory thrower. Would throw to an area earlier than his goal is there.
- Excellent at creating to avoid wasting a play when issues broke down. Most of the time he’d rush however was savvy sufficient to lure defenders by feigning the run to open up a goal downfield.
- Was concerned in lots of designed runs to assault defenses. Used his athleticism, good lateral agility and solid-to-good velocity to rack up yardage and touchdowns on the bottom. His burly physique made him robust to wrap up. He might simply contribute as a short-yardage/goal-line choice as quickly as Week 1, and as a change-up quarterback as quickly as this season.
- Comes off as a mature, sensible younger man. From a soccer household (father performed within the CFL).
- Lack of expertise is a biggie. He threw 318 passes in 17 video games at North Dakota State.
- Lack of prime competitors is a biggie. Performed within the FCS, by no means took on any defenses from Energy-5 Faculties. There figures to be a major studying curve for Lance on the professional degree.
- Footwork and total physique mechanics improved via 2019 to his one 2020 recreation to his Professional Day, however he is removed from a completed product.
- As such, he did not constantly present the pinpoint accuracy groups crave. Often was shut sufficient the place his receivers might modify, however would hit the improper shoulder or throw slightly excessive or slightly broad. He missed some throws each week. Additionally was off-target on seven passes at his Professional Day regardless of improved footwork and mechanics.
Superior stats to know
(all from 2019)*
- Simply in case you missed it: Set an NCAA document for many passes thrown in a season with out an interception, doing so with 287 in 2019.
- Professional Soccer Focus tabbed Lance with 4 turnover-worthy performs. That is it.
- Of his 2,786 yards in 2019, 806 (29%) got here on deep passes and 268 (9.7%) got here on display passes.
- Adjusted completion charge: 72.0%
When Lance did one thing nice along with his legs, he jogged my memory of Cam Newton. When he did one thing nice along with his arm, or when he manipulated a protection, he jogged my memory of Matthew Stafford. When he did one thing horrible with both his arm or his toes, he jogged my memory of Josh Freeman. Finally, the comparability to Newton is strongest — Lance is a dual-threat quarterback with massive dimension, a giant arm and, good-but-not-perfect accuracy.
If given time to be taught the sport from coaches who realize it effectively and set him up in an offense he is comfy with, Lance has an excellent shot at being a weekly starter. If he may also graduate from the Josh Allen Faculty of Improved Accuracy, then he’ll have the upside to be one of the crucial productive quarterbacks within the league.