Huge-time school soccer recruiters thought a lot of Trey Lance’s quarterbacking abilities out of highschool that all of them wished him to maneuver to linebacker, or security, or huge receiver. Not what the previous three-sport high-school star hoped for. However Lance did not wish to change positions — he wished to be a quarterback regardless of being a lanky child out of Marshall Senior Excessive College, about 2.5 hours west of Minneapolis. One faculty fell in love with Lance: North Dakota State, who recruited Lance on the heels of turning Carson Wentz right into a top-2 decide within the NFL Draft.
Lance accepted — and proved them proper a yr later. As a redshirt freshman, Lance handed for two,786 yards and 28 touchdowns in 16 video games, including one other 1,100 yards and 14 touchdowns on the bottom. He additionally set an NCAA file for throwing essentially the most passes (287) with no single interception in a season. It was greater than sufficient to earn him the Walter Payton Award for the most effective FCS-level participant in 2019. He is the one individual ever to get it as a freshman.
Lance’s remaining time in class was closely impacted by Covid-19. The Bison performed one recreation within the fall of 2020 (vs. Central Arkansas), choosing a spring schedule as an alternative. Lance performed within the recreation, a showcase of kinds for him, however appeared rusty within the first half earlier than rebounding within the second half for a win. He declared for the draft after that.
We’re breaking down all the pieces you have to find out about Lance from a Fantasy supervisor perspective, together with most closely fits, Dynasty outlook, measurables, scouting report, key stats and an NFL comparability.
Most quarterback-needy groups have a veteran prepared to start out Week 1. They need not put a rookie on the sector immediately. Lance’s terrific athleticism and robust arm mixed with a profitable coaching camp might leapfrog him over Drew Lock in time for the beginning of the season, one thing that is robust to check with different golf equipment. Furthermore, Lance could be within the saddle with one of many league’s youngest and most promising receiving corps and a fairly stable offensive line. His quickest observe to Fantasy stardom additionally occurs to be the one with the most effective long-term prospects.
Is there a greater quarterback to assist put together and groom a robust, versatile, two-way menace passer than Cam Newton? On high of the teaching he’d get from Invoice Belichick and Josh McDaniels, Lance would have a relatable mentor in Newton whereas studying the sport from the sideline. Lance additionally might take over for Newton earlier than later, giving him a clouded-but-not-restrictive path to enjoying time. Lance has the mature psychological make-up that is excellent for the Patriots, too.
Fantasy managers must be fairly affected person if Lance heads to Atlanta as a result of Matt Ryan is not giving up his throne so shortly. Lance might very nicely take the identical path Patrick Mahomes did to enjoying time and never be heard from till very late 2021 or Week 1 of 2022. However pairing Lance’s unimaginable instruments with Arthur Smith’s adaptability mantra might at some point create some unimaginable statistics.
The Steelers decide twenty fourth and must surrender a LOT to maneuver excessive sufficient to draft Lance, however it could be unbelievable in the event that they did. Like with Atlanta, and a bunch of different groups, Lance would anticipate a yr earlier than taking up. Ben Roethlisberger is not going wherever as long as his arm holds up. However the long-term concept of Lance slinging it to younger receivers like Diontae Johnson and Chase Claypool is very fascinating. That might be loads of athletic expertise for defenses to take care of.
Fantasy managers have discovered to prioritize quarterbacks who put up dashing stats. Lance has completed loads of that. Paired along with his immense ceiling as a passer, there’s unimaginable upside right here. And it will get higher: Lance will not be a prioritized decide in a rookie draft that is fairly deep. Solely in a two-QB or deep Superflex dynasty league would Lance even get thought of with a top-10 total decide. However he may make it to the center of Spherical 2 and even Spherical 3 in one-QB codecs. That is unreal worth for a man who has the better-than-raw abilities to be a terrific Fantasy passer.
- Poised, robust physique that makes him tough to wrap up within the pocket (or wherever else).
- Labored in a pro-style offense that noticed him line up beneath middle fairly a bit. Additionally labored in shotgun. Did loads of play-action and RPOs. Ready to deal with any scheme on the subsequent stage.
- Glorious discipline basic. Studied, learn and understood defensive coverages very nicely. Truly dealt with safety requires North Dakota State as a redshirt freshman. Made nice selections with the soccer and usually had good ball placement.
- Was excellent at reacting shortly to defensive adjustments post-snap and would shift his eyes and physique accordingly.
- Principally affected person within the pocket. At instances acquired distracted by blitzes and would drop his eyes or rush his throws, which led to incompletions.
- Very robust arm. Made each throw together with deep far-sideline outs and deep fades. There was constant proof of his passes touring nicely previous 45 air yards downfield.
- Knew when to fluctuate his arm energy. He had excellent velocity when he wanted to tear a throw into a good area, but in addition displayed good contact on shorter passes.
- Good anticipatory thrower. Would throw to an area earlier than his goal is there.
- Superb at creating to save lots of a play when issues broke down. Most of the time he’d rush however was savvy sufficient to lure defenders by feigning the run to open up a goal downfield.
- Was concerned in lots of designed runs to assault defenses. Used his athleticism, good lateral agility and solid-to-good pace to rack up yardage and touchdowns on the bottom. His burly physique made him robust to wrap up. He might simply contribute as a short-yardage/goal-line possibility as quickly as Week 1, and as a change-up quarterback as quickly as this season.
- Comes off as a mature, good younger man. From a soccer household (father performed within the CFL).
- Lack of expertise is a biggie. He threw 318 passes in 17 video games at North Dakota State.
- Lack of high competitors is a biggie. Performed within the FCS, by no means took on any defenses from Energy-5 Colleges. There figures to be a big studying curve for Lance on the professional stage.
- Footwork and total physique mechanics improved via 2019 to his one 2020 recreation to his Professional Day, however he is removed from a completed product.
- As such, he did not constantly present the pinpoint accuracy groups crave. Ceaselessly was shut sufficient the place his receivers might modify, however would hit the fallacious shoulder or throw slightly excessive or slightly huge. He missed some throws each week. Additionally was off-target on seven passes at his Professional Day regardless of improved footwork and mechanics.
Superior stats to know
(all from 2019)*
- Simply in case you missed it: Set an NCAA file for many passes thrown in a season with out an interception, doing so with 287 in 2019.
- Professional Soccer Focus tabbed Lance with 4 turnover-worthy performs. That is it.
- Of his 2,786 yards in 2019, 806 (29%) got here on deep passes and 268 (9.7%) got here on display passes.
- Adjusted completion fee: 72.0%
When Lance did one thing nice along with his legs, he jogged my memory of Cam Newton. When he did one thing nice along with his arm, or when he manipulated a protection, he jogged my memory of Matthew Stafford. When he did one thing horrible with both his arm or his toes, he jogged my memory of Josh Freeman. In the end, the comparability to Newton is strongest — Lance is a dual-threat quarterback with huge dimension, an enormous arm and, good-but-not-perfect accuracy.
If given time to be taught the sport from coaches who understand it nicely and set him up in an offense he is snug with, Lance has an excellent shot at being a weekly starter. If he may graduate from the Josh Allen College of Improved Accuracy, then he’ll have the upside to be probably the most productive quarterbacks within the league.