Trevor Lawrence entered his collegiate profession because the No. 1 total recruit at any place by 247Sports and by Rivals — ESPN had him because the No. 2 total participant within the 2018 class. The hype practice that trailed Lawrence upon his arrival at Clemson goes again even additional — he was named the USA As we speak Nationwide Offensive Participant of the Yr and the U.S Military Participant of the 12 months each in his junior and senior seasons at Cartersville Excessive Faculty in Georgia. It was there he began all 4 seasons, profitable two state titles and ending with a 52-2 document. Oh, and he additionally broke Deshaun Watson’s highschool data in passing yards (13,908) and passing touchdowns (161).
Lawrence did not disappoint when he first obtained his likelihood to take over as Clemson’s quarterback. In 2018, as a real freshman, he burst onto the scene with a 30:4 landing to interception ratio and graded out as the most effective QBs in faculty soccer, per PFF. He has improved each season since. Lawrence will not be an ideal prospect, however his mixture of ground and ceiling make him the clear-cut greatest QB prospect on this class. In Fantasy Soccer, he tasks to be a difference-maker early (much like what we noticed with Justin Herbert) on account of his means to layer passes with velocity to all three ranges of the sector, and his underrated speeding means.
We’re breaking down the whole lot it’s essential find out about Lawrence from a Fantasy supervisor perspective, together with most closely fits, Dynasty outlook, measurables, scouting report, key stats and an NFL comparability.
Lawrence is headed to Jacksonville and that is no secret — City Meyer took the job as a result of he knew he would inherit him at QB. Earlier this offseason, CBS Sports activities Senior Fantasy author Dave Richard took a deep dive into breaking down what the Jaguars offense will appear to be with Meyer and Lawrence added to the combo. Search for the Jaguars to lean on a play-action primarily based passing sport that’s not afraid to take vertical photographs down the sector early and infrequently, and this could mesh very nicely with Lawrence’s talent set.
It might be a idiot’s errand to interrupt down Lawrence’s match on some other workforce as a result of the Jaguars are a close to certainty to pick him at No. 1 total.
In a single-QB Dynasty codecs, I might be prone to draft Lawrence greater than consensus on account of his underrated upside as a runner (18 speeding TDs in 40 video games at Clemson). In latest seasons, we have seen what a quarterback with speeding upside can imply for Fantasy functions — in some methods serving as a cheat code — particularly if used within the pink zone. Regardless of Clemson not working in a lot of a zone-read possibility ingredient to their offense (although Lawrence was greater than succesful), when he escaped the pocket and took off with the ball, Trevor at instances beat linebackers on angles in house. He did not run a 40-yard sprint at his professional day, however I think about he would’ve stunned along with his velocity. In 2QB and Superflex codecs, Lawrence is and needs to be the 1.1.
- Lawrence throws a “tall ball,” that means his ball placement on throws will usually put the receiver in a superb place to make a fingers catch and create most yards after the catch.
- Possesses the arm expertise to make throws constantly in any respect three ranges of the sector in any climate situations. This permits an offensive coordinator a extra various and expansive playbook, and it makes it tough for defensive coordinators to sport plan on a weekly foundation.
- Possesses the poise to maintain eyes downfield and ship the ball precisely within the face of strain.
- Superior psychological processing earlier than the snap that resembles a multi-year veteran on the NFL.
- One of the crucial environment friendly deep passers within the class (extra on that under in superior stats).
- Superior psychological processing after the snap for a collegiate QB — can see the center of the sector very nicely.
- Tons of high-level expertise in high-leverage conditions. Lawrence began as a real freshman and 40 profession video games at Clemson. He was CFB semifinals MVP in 2018, 2019 and CFB nationwide championship MVP in 2019.
- Upside as a runner each on designed and improvised performs — 943 speeding yards and 18 TDs at Clemson.
- Superior stage pocket presence — this could be his most underrated and greatest trait. How usually do you bear in mind Lawrence taking sacks at Clemson? And what number of prime draft picks has Clemson had on the offensive line in his years? No QB on this class rivals Lawrence.
- Glorious upper-body mechanics and throwing movement.
- Plus means to take care of ball placement/accuracy whereas throwing on the run.
- Lawrence’s accuracy improved throughout his remaining season at Clemson, however that is total not a power of his sport. Whereas Lawerence’s ball placement is above common, it isn’t elite and I would not say it is one of the best on this class.
- When Lawrence misses, he tends to overlook excessive along with his throws.
- Tends to play hero ball and by no means hand over on a play. Whereas this may typically result in inconceivable successes, additionally they led to extra turnover-worthy throws when he was pressured outdoors the pocket.
- Lawrence completed No. 1 in display screen yards, per PFF — these manufactured yards will not be as straightforward on the subsequent stage.
|2020 v prime 25||3||69.6||1,014||7||2||116||3|
|2019 v prime 25||2||61.7||527||3||1||96||1|
Superior stats to know
- Lawrence was 22 of 51 on passes of 20-plus yards (within the air), in line with Professional Soccer Focus, resulting in 10 touchdowns and a 97.7 grade.
- By no means graded under 90 at Clemson and improved his grade in every season, per PFF.
- Profession 90.1 passing grade vs. the blitz, per PFF
After I watch Lawrence on All-22, I see lots of similarities to Chargers QB Justin Herbert. Nevertheless, Lawrence is extra superior than Herbert from a psychological processing standpoint each earlier than and after the snap. And whereas I will give the sting to Herbert in terms of his contact in any respect three ranges, Lawrence possesses equally as spectacular contact excessive on passes that journey 20-plus yards within the air. Lawrence can be sooner and extra elusive within the open area as a runner.