Girls and gents, welcome to the Thursday version of the Choose Six Publication.
Simply whenever you thought this week could not get any crazier, it in some way has. We began off the week with some salacious City Meyer video, and now we have now a Cowboys participant (La’el Collins) SUING the NFL. I’ve to confess, I am already having flashbacks to Ezekiel Elliott suing the NFL in 2017. I imply, I watched 41 straight hours of “Legislation and Order” that yr simply so I might get higher versed with our authorized system in an effort to grasp the case, so I am prepared for no matter will get thrown my method by this new case.
Not solely will we be protecting the lawsuit in the present day, however we’ll even be protecting all the things that occurred with Stephon Gilmore. In the event you learn something on the web yesterday, you most likely thought he was being launched, however then the Patriots pulled a quick one and traded him to Carolina. We’ll have the small print on that quick deal, plus we’ll be making some Rams-Seahawks picks, so let’s get to the rundown.
As all the time, this is your weekly reminder to inform all your folks to enroll in the Choose Six e-newsletter. To get your folks to enroll, all you need to do is click on right here after which share this hyperlink with them. Alright, let’s get to the rundown.
1. As we speak’s present: Rams-Seahawks betting preview
In the event you’re planning on betting any cash on tonight’s sport, then you are going to wish to be sure that to hearken to in the present day’s episode of the podcast earlier than you place any bets. For in the present day’s present, Will Brinson introduced on CBSSports author Tyler Sullivan, and the 2 went into full playing mode.
Listed here are a number of props they like for the sport:
- Cooper Kupp OVER 6.5 receptions (-145). Not solely is Kupp averaging 7.5 receptions per sport, however he is already gone over this complete 3 times in 4 weeks this season. If the primary 4 video games of the season are any indication, Matthew Stafford might be seeking to him early and sometimes.
- Matthew Stafford OVER 5.5 speeding yards (-110). If Stafford proved one factor final week, it is that he’ll take off and run if there isn’t any different choice. The Rams QB rushed for 21 yards in Week 4, and the guess right here is that he totals at the very least six speeding yards towards the Seahawks.
- Darrell Henderson anytime TD (+127). The Seahawks have the worst speeding protection within the NFL this yr, and if the Rams get contained in the 10-yard line, you may guess they are going to do their greatest to benefit from all of the holes in Seattle’s speeding protection.
For extra props and their precise predictions for tonight’s sport, be sure you click on right here so you may hearken to in the present day’s episode. In the event you’d reasonably watch in the present day’s present, now you can try this on YouTube!
2. Thursday night time preview: Prepping you for Rams at Seahawks
Going into Week 4, the Seahawks have been sitting at 1-2 and in final place within the NFC West, however in a span simply 5 days, they could flip the division standings the wrong way up. With a win over the Rams on Thursday, the Seahawks would transfer into second place within the division. That being mentioned, that is an equally massive sport for the Rams, who cannot precisely afford one other division loss after falling to the Cardinals on Sunday.
My good buddy Jared Dubin put collectively our deep-dive preview for this sport right here at CBSSports, and this is how he sees the sport taking part in out:
- Why the Rams can win: Since Sean McVay took over as Rams coach, the Seahawks have had a virtually not possible time determining find out how to cease his offense. Prior to now eight conferences between these crew groups, McVay has gone 6-2 and that features final yr’s playoff sport when McVay gained with a mix of John Wolford and Jared Goff taking part in QB. With Matthew Stafford working the present, it will not be stunning if that offensive success continues. If that occurs, it is exhausting to image the Rams shedding, particularly because the Seahawks have one of many worst defenses within the NFL via 4 weeks.
- Why the Seahawks can win: Like most Seahawks video games, this all comes all the way down to Russell Wilson. The Rams have one of the vital athletic defenses within the NFL, and due to that, they’re normally capable of hold Wilson within the pocket, which forces him to make performs together with his arm as an alternative of his legs. To take some strain off Wilson, the Seahawks might use a giant night time from their floor sport, however there isn’t any assure that is going to occur since Chris Carson is questionable with a neck damage and won’t play.
You possibly can get a full preview of the sport from Dubin by clicking right here.
Dubin’s choose: Rams 31-23 over Seahawks
My choose: Rams 26-23 over Seahawks
NOTE: The Seahawks might be sporting their fluorescent inexperienced uniforms, which they’re 4-0 in, so now I am type of nervous about my choose.
In the event you’re excited about betting on the sport, Tyler Sullivan put collectively a full playing preview.
- ONE PROP TYLER LIKES: Russell Wilson OVER 24.5 completions (-120): “The Rams have allowed the second-most completions within the league, giving up a median of 29 per sport via the primary 4 weeks. Whereas Wilson has but to go over this quantity this season, Chris Carson (neck) being held out or restricted for this sport might bump his passing makes an attempt increased.”
- ONE PROP I LIKE: Matthew Stafford OVER 0.5 interceptions (+110): For this prop to hit, Stafford simply has to throw one interception, and I will not be shocked if that occurs in Seattle. The Rams have solely performed one highway sport this season and Stafford threw a choose in that sport. To not point out, Seattle is among the hardest locations to play within the NFL, and I will not be shocked if the group noise results in at the very least one mistake by Stafford.
- Lengthy shot prop I am excited about betting: Cooper Kupp to attain a number of touchdowns (+500). Kupp has scored at the very least two touchdowns in two out of 4 video games this yr and there isn’t any motive to assume he cannot do it towards the Seahawks. The Rams receiver is one among Matthew Stafford’s favourite targets, particularly within the crimson zone, so do not be shocked if Kupp finally ends up scoring a number of touchdowns.
You possibly can try Sullivan’s full playing preview by clicking right here.
3. Panthers commerce for Patriots star Stephon Gilmore
The Stephon Gilmore saga positively took a wild twist Wednesday. Though it was initially reported that the Patriots have been going to launch him, they ended up figuring out a take care of the Panthers to ship Gilmore to Carolina in change for a 2023 sixth-round choose.
Here is all the things you have to know concerning the state of affairs.
- Why Gilmore ended up being traded as an alternative of launched. The Patriots’ plan labored to perfection right here: The crew leaked the information that they have been going to launch Gilmore early Wednesday figuring out that he would not be formally launched till 4 p.m. ET. That was principally New England’s method of telling different groups, “We’d like to commerce him and we’re taking all calls between now and 4 p.m. ET.” The Panthers ended up making a name and the 2 sides received a deal executed.
- Why the Patriots dumped an All-Professional nook. Gilmore was not glad together with his contract and made it clear he wished a brand new one earlier than returning to the sphere this yr. With the nook set to come back off injured reserve in a number of weeks, the Patriots both needed to give him a brand new deal or dump him. By buying and selling Gilmore away, the Patriots picked up some main wage cap house. Going into Wednesday, they have been simply $54,000 underneath the cap, however now they have loads of respiratory room as a result of the commerce freed up roughly $7 million in cap house.
- Gilmore will probably be taking part in for the Panthers earlier than the tip of the month. Since he is on the Bodily Unable to Carry out (PUP) listing, Gilmore just isn’t eligible to play throughout the first six weeks of the season, which suggests he will not be allowed to play till Week 7 on the earliest. Panthers’ GM Scott Fitterer mentioned Wednesday that he expects Gilmore to be on the sphere for that Oct. 24 sport towards the Giants. The Panthers might be paying him the roughly $6 million that he is owed on the remainder of his contract and as of proper now, the 2 sides have not talked a few new deal.
- Gilmore is probably going pleased with the transfer. This may principally be a homecoming for the All-Professional nook. Gilmore is from Rock Hill, South Carolina, which sits roughly 30 miles away from Charlotte. Additionally, Gilmore owns a home only a few doorways down from Fitterer in Charlotte, so if the 2 want to speak a few new contract throughout the offseason, it probably will not be exhausting for one man to seek out the opposite.
- Panthers GM has been busy. This commerce marks the second time in lower than two weeks that Fitterer has made a commerce for a gifted nook. Again on Sept. 27, the Panthers pulled off a commerce for Jaguars nook C.J. Henderson. Throughout his first yr on the job, Fitterer has additionally made trades for QB Sam Darnold, DE Darryl Johnson and Okay Ryan Santoso.
If this commerce proves one factor, it is that the Panthers try to win now. Gilmore is within the remaining yr of his deal, so there isn’t any assure he’ll be returning to Carolina in 2022.
4. Cardinals are NFL’s remaining undefeated crew
With Week 5 kicking off tonight, now looks like time to level out that there is just one undefeated crew left within the NFL: the Arizona Cardinals.
Via 4 weeks, the Cardinals have been practically unstoppable on offense. Not solely have they totaled extra yards than another crew, however they’re additionally the highest-scoring crew within the NFL at 35 factors per sport.
Listed here are a number of nuggets concerning the Cardinals’ undefeated begin:
- Being the ultimate undefeated crew would not assure a Tremendous Bowl win. Since 2000, the ultimate undefeated crew has solely ended up successful the Tremendous Bowl one time, and that got here in 2006 when the Peyton Manning and the Colts pulled it off. Though just one crew has gained the Tremendous Bowl, 10 groups have made it to the Tremendous Bowl, with the newest one coming in 2019 when the 49ers made it to the Tremendous Bowl after beginning 8-0.
- Being the ultimate undefeated crew does just about assure a playoff spot. Since 2000, solely three groups have did not make the playoffs after being the ultimate undefeated crew: the 2002 Chargers, 2014 Eagles and 2016 Vikings.
- That is the fourth time within the Tremendous Bowl period the Cardinals have been the ultimate undefeated crew. The Playing cards have a blended historical past once they’ve been the ultimate undefeated crew. When it occurred again in 2014, they began 3-0 and ended up getting all the way in which to 9-1 earlier than tumbling to an 11-5 end. Their season would finally finish with a loss within the wild-card spherical. In 1974, the Playing cards began 7-0 however went 3-4 down the stretch to complete 10-4 throughout a season that ended with a loss within the divisional spherical. In 1966, the season of the primary Tremendous Bowl, the Cardinals began 5-0-1 however melted down over the ultimate few weeks of the season and ended up lacking the playoffs with an 8-5-1 file.
The Cardinals have the perfect file in soccer, however staying on high is not going to be straightforward, particularly since they play in arguably probably the most troublesome division within the NFL.
5. Cowboys’ La’el Collins suing NFL
Cowboys offensive lineman La’el Collins is so upset together with his five-game suspension that he is really suing the NFL over it. Collins is in search of an injunction that may permit him to play this week though he nonetheless has two video games left on his suspension.
Listed here are some particulars on the case by way of NBC Dallas:
- Why Collins received suspended. The Cowboys lineman missed a number of drug exams and the NFL contended that Collins wasn’t cooperating with the league. That is an necessary distinction, as a result of underneath the brand new CBA, a participant cannot be suspended for missed exams (solely fined), however he could be suspended for not cooperating with the league.
- Particulars of the case. The NFLPA was really capable of get Collins’ five-game suspension decreased down to 2 video games again in November 2020, however that wasn’t sufficient for Collins. The Cowboys starter then appealed the suspension in arbitration and after wanting on the particulars of the case, the arbitrator reinstated the five-game suspension. After that, Collins’ camp wasn’t glad that the suspension was introduced whereas he nonetheless had one other attraction pending.
- Why the NFL most likely feels good about its case. Underneath CBA guidelines, these circumstances are determined by an arbitrator and two completely different arbitrators dominated within the league’s favor. It is exhausting to think about a choose overruling that, however crazier issues have occurred. Talking of crazier issues….
- Collins will get a good choose. The go well with was filed in Texas state court docket, however has been transferred to a federal court docket, in accordance to paperwork obtained by sports activities authorized professional Daniel Wallach. The twist right here is that the case has been assigned to Decide Amos Mazzant III, who overturned Ezekiel Elliott’s suspension in 2017. (The case did not finish there, although, as a result of it will definitely received transferred to New York).
It isn’t clear when any resolution might be made, however time is of the essence right here so it is potential the choose might make a ruling within the subsequent 24 hours. On the minimal, the choose might situation an injunction, which might permit Collins to play till the case is set.
Since 2017, the Cowboys sort out has began in 48 of a potential 52 video games for the Cowboys. Three of these 4 missed video games have come this yr because of the suspension.
6. Fast-fire roundup
It has been a busy 24 hours within the NFL, and because it’s practically not possible to maintain observe of all the things that occurred, I went forward and put collectively a roundup for you.
- Bears title Justin Fields their beginning QB. It seems Matt Nagy has lastly come to his senses. After hinting that Andy Dalton could be the starter this week, Nagy modified his thoughts and has determined to go together with his rookie quarterback. After watching Fields win in Week 4, this was the fitting resolution. The one shock is how lengthy it took Nagy to make it.
- Packers signal former Cowboys Professional Bowler. Lower than 48 hours after being surprisingly minimize by the Cowboys, Jaylon Smith already has a brand new residence. The linebacker reportedly agreed to phrases Thursday morning with the Packers, who’re in dire want of some assist at linebacker because of the damage to Za’Darius Smith.
- Baker Mayfield coping with partially torn labrum. The Browns QB has been struggling together with his accuracy over the previous two weeks and now we all know why: He is coping with partially torn labrum. The damage will not require surgical procedure, however Mayfield is certainly going to be in some ache whereas he performs going ahead. With Mayfield struggling, opposing defenses might begin to focus extra on stopping the Browns’ floor sport.
- Particulars on DEA investigation of Washington’s coach. In accordance to NBC Sports activities Washington, the DEA investigation into WFT coach Ryan Vermillion is expounded to a “potential diversion of pharmaceuticals” to individuals who did not want them. The NBCSW report additionally states that the crew would not imagine any gamers have been concerned.
- Texans proprietor would not rule out a potential Deshaun Watson commerce. The NFL commerce deadline is Nov. 2, which suggests the Texans have lower than 4 weeks to determine whether or not they wish to commerce Watson. Throughout an interview this week, Texans proprietor Cal McNair did not sound opposed to creating a commerce, “We’ll simply wait and see,” McNair mentioned, by way of SportsTalk 790. “It is a day-to-day factor. [General manager Nick Caserio] is answerable for that. We’ll see how that works out.”