Welcome to the Tuesday version of the Choose Six e-newsletter!
In information that nobody cares about, I will probably be consuming sizzling canine for the following 17 days and that is largely as a result of I grilled roughly 75 extra sizzling canine than I really wanted for the Fourth of July yesterday. I really feel like the simplest strategy to clear up my sizzling canine downside can be to ask Joey Chestnut over for dinner tonight, however I am undecided he will be within the temper to eat anymore after downing 63 to win the Nathan’s sizzling canine consuming contest yesterday.
Anyway, this is not a sizzling canine e-newsletter, it is an NFL e-newsletter, so let’s get to the NFL stuff.
As all the time, here is your weekly reminder to inform all your pals to enroll in the e-newsletter. All it’s important to do is click on right here after which share the hyperlink. Let’s get to the rundown.
1. As we speak’s present: Monday Mailbag (on a Tuesday)
Throughout the NFL offseason, we wish to spice issues up every week on the Choose Six Podcast by including a listener mailbag each Monday, properly, apart from this week. Since Monday was a vacation, you are getting a mailbag at present!
Our mailbag episodes are fairly easy: We learn listener questions throughout the present after which reply as a lot of these questions as doable. Questions could be about actually something. I imply, at present’s mailbag features a query from a listener who was questioning what I received Ryan Wilson for his birthday final week, which made me really feel like a horrible individual as a result of I didn’t get Ryan Wilson something for his birthday.
Anyway, if you wish to submit a query, all it’s important to do is go to Apple Podcasts (click on right here) and depart a five-star evaluate that features your query.
Here is one query Will Brinson and I answered in at present’s mailbag.
Q: Out of the six “beginning” second-year quarterbacks — Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Justin Fields, Mac Jones, and Davis Mills — which one do you suppose will probably be changed by their staff first?
A: I believe the plain reply right here is Davis Mills. The Texans can not seem to get out of their very own manner, they do not ever appear to do something proper, and Mills is taking part in quarterback for a training employees/entrance workplace that did not draft him, which implies if he struggles in 2022, I do not suppose they will have any points pulling the twine on his time in Houston. Mills can also be the one participant on this record who wasn’t taken within the first spherical, which implies the Texans will not face as a lot criticism for benching him (To place this in perspective, if Mills received benched in Week 5, most individuals would yawn, but when Trevor Lawrence received benched in Week 5, that will make headlines for weeks).
My under-the-radar reply to this query is Zach Wilson. The Jets have really put some respectable weapons round him, and if he cannot produce along with his supporting forged, I might see them a minimum of beginning the method of wanting round for different quarterbacks. Of the first-round quarterbacks, Brinson thinks one of the best reply is Justin Fields since he is additionally taking part in for a training employees/entrance workplace that did not draft him.
Anyway, to hearken to the remainder of the mailbag, you should definitely click on right here. You may watch at present’s episode on YouTube by clicking right here.
2. Rating the NFL’s 5 most improved groups
If you consider essentially the most improved groups within the NFL, you often consider dangerous groups from final yr that improved their rosters sufficient throughout the offseason to compete for a playoff spot in 2022. Nevertheless, it is value conserving in thoughts that good groups may enhance their roster throughout the offseason, which I am solely noting as a result of good groups dominate our record of the top-five most improved groups heading into 2022.
Of the 5 groups on our record, three of them made the playoffs final yr and solely one among them completed the 2021 season with a shedding document. Probably the most stunning staff on the record may be the Bengals, who improved their roster immensely, which ought to in all probability scare the remainder of the AFC contemplating this is identical Cincinnati staff that was within the Tremendous Bowl simply 5 months in the past.
With that in thoughts, here is Bryan DeArdo’s record of the top-five most improved groups getting into the 2022 season:
Key additions: A.J. Brown, Haason Reddick, James Bradberry, Jordan Davis. “A wild card staff final season, the Eagles appear primed to fly significantly greater in 2022. Throughout the draft, GM Howie Roseman swung a commerce that introduced in Brown, a former Professional Bowl wideout with the Titans.”
Key additions: Khalil Mack, J.C. Jackson, Zion Johnson. “Brandon Staley and the Chargers’ entrance workplace addressed their largest challenge — protection — by buying and selling for Mack, one of many NFL’s premier inside linebackers, and forked over a hefty amount of cash to accumulate Jackson, who was arguably the highest cornerback available on the market.”
Key additions: Sauce Gardner, Jordan Whitehead, Jermaine Johnson II, Garrett Wilson, Laken Tomlinson. “GM Joe Douglas has geared up second-year QB Zach Wilson with a proficient receiving corps that features Wilson, Elijah Moore (a second-round choose in 2021), Corey Davis, Braxton Berrios, and former Bengal C.J Uzomah. Additionally at Wilson’s disposal is an equally deep backfield, led by Michael Carter, rookie Breece Corridor and former 49er Tevin Coleman.”
Key additions: Mitchell Trubisky, Kenny Pickett, Myles Jack, Levi Wallace, Larry Ogunjobi. “Certainly one of Omar Khan’s first massive signings as GM was Ogunjobi, who if wholesome will probably be an absolute discount at one yr and as much as $8 million with incentives. Talking of bargains, the Steelers had been capable of purchase two veteran defensive starters in Jack and Wallace for a complete of $24 million over two years.”
Key additions: Alex Cappa, Ted Karras, La’el Collins, Daxton Hill. “The defending AFC champions aggressively addressed final season’s largest weak point by signing three veteran offensive linemen. This trio ought to make life considerably higher for Joe Burrow, who led the Bengals to an AFC title final season regardless of getting sacked a whopping 70 occasions (together with the postseason).”
If you wish to learn DeArdo’s full rationalization for his rankings and why he ranked every staff the place he did, then you should definitely click on right here.
3. Rating the ten finest punters heading into the 2022 season
As you could or could not have seen, we have been rating each place group within the NFL over the previous few weeks, and imagine it or not, we’re lastly right down to our final place group: Punters. Clearly, we determined to save lots of one of the best for final.
It took three weeks to make it by means of each place group, however we lastly did it, so be at liberty to cease and take a fast bow in the event you really learn by means of each one among these. From quarterbacks to corners to receivers to working backs, we lined each place group. Really, I take that again. The one factor we did not rank was lengthy snappers. Perhaps I am going to push for that subsequent yr.
Anyway, let’s get to our rating of the highest 10 punters.
Prime 10 punters for 2022
1. Michael Dickson, Seahawks
2. Logan Cooke, Jaguars
3. A.J. Cole, Raiders
4. Jack Fox, Lions
5. Bryan Anger, Cowboys
6. Tress Approach, Commanders
7. Jake Bailey, Patriots
8. Tommy Townsend, Chiefs
9. Johnny Hekker, Panthers
10. Cameron Johnston, Texans
Simply missed: Sam Martin (Broncos), Thomas Morstead (Dolphins), Brett Kern (Titans)
If you wish to inform me how superior my record is, you can try this on Twitter by clicking right here. Alternatively, if you wish to inform me I am trash as a result of I left Sam Martin off the record, it’s also possible to try this on Twitter.
Lastly, in order for you an in depth rationalization of my punter rankings, then you should definitely click on right here so you’ll be able to take a look at your entire story.
4. Predicting the MVP for every AFC staff
The NFL solely arms out one MVP award yearly, however we’re barely extra beneficiant round right here, so we’ll hand out 16 of them at present. Our Jordan Dajani determined to run by means of each staff within the AFC and predict who’s going to be the MVP for every staff.
The enjoyable half right here is that Dajani did not undergo and choose the plain alternative for every staff. As an example, the Ravens MVP is not Lamar Jackson.
So who’s the Ravens MVP? And who made the reduce for the opposite 15 groups within the AFC?
Let’s discover out.
Payments: QB Josh Allen
Dolphins: The brand new group of working backs
Patriots: QB Mac Jones
Jets: WR Elijah Moore
Texans: WR Brandin Cooks
Colts: RB Jonathan Taylor
Jaguars: QB Trevor Lawrence
Titans: RB Derrick Henry
Ravens: WR Rashod Bateman
Bengals: The brand new offensive line (Alex Cappa, La’el Collins, Ted Karras)
Browns: WR Amari Cooper
Steelers: EDGE T.J. Watt
Broncos: QB Russell Wilson
Chiefs: TE Travis Kelce
Raiders: DE Maxx Crosby
Chargers: QB Justin Herbert
If you’d like an in depth rationalization for why every of the gamers made the reduce, then you are going to wish to click on right here so you’ll be able to learn Dajani’s total story. Coming later this week, we’ll predict an MVP for every NFC staff.
5. Sports activities media legend Hank Goldberg dies at 82
Henry “Hank” Goldberg, one of the vital iconic prognosticators within the historical past of sports activities media, handed away Monday on the age of 82 after a seven-year battle with kidney illness. Goldberg spent almost his total life on the radio or in entrance of a digicam, and most of that point was spent making picks on NFL video games and horse races. Goldberg was so keen on his job that at the same time as his well being was getting worse, he was nonetheless making picks till almost the very finish.
- The person was legend in South Florida. For 30 years (1978-2007), Goldberg both hosted or co-hosted a radio present in South Florida. To not point out, he additionally served because the Dolphins’ shade commentator on radio from 1978 to 1992. Throughout the mid-70s, he was additionally the ghost author for Jimmy “The Greek” Snyder’s nationally syndicated newspaper column.
- Goldberg goes nationwide. After taking up the South Florida market, Goldberg went nationwide in 1993 when he was employed by ESPN. Throughout his prolonged stint on the all sports activities community, Goldberg made common appearances on NFL countdown. In accordance with one former ESPN reporter, Goldberg was mainly the one one on the community who had the inexperienced mild to speak about NFL level spreads throughout a time when speaking about level spreads on nationwide tv was thought-about taboo. In accordance to ESPN, his picks in opposition to the unfold completed .500 or higher in 15 of his 17 years on the community.
- Goldberg finally ends up at CBS Sports activities. Most individuals decelerate as soon as they hit their late 70s, however not Goldberg. In 2018, he joined CBS Sports activities HQ and SportsLine and continued to work with us there till final month. The person was hitting house runs within the prognostication division till the tip. Again in Could, the 2 horses he picked to complete within the high two on the Preakness ended up being the highest two horses within the race. Increase. Goldberg was nailing his picks till the tip.
Goldberg rubbed elbows with among the most well-known athletes of the previous few generations. He was associates with Raiders proprietor Al Davis, Joe Namath. Chris Webber and Al Michaels. He additionally managed to construct a friendship with one of the vital reclusive athletes in historical past: Joe DiMaggio.
When you wan to know extra about Goldberg’s fascinating life, you will undoubtedly wish to make time to learn his total obituary at present, which you are able to do proper right here at CBSSports.com. You’ll be able to additionally see a video tribute to Goldberg by clicking right here.
6. Speedy-fire roundup: Demaryius Thomas had stage 2 CTE when he died
It was a wild weekend within the NFL, and because it’s almost unattainable to maintain monitor of all the pieces that occurred, I went forward and put collectively a roundup for you.
- Demaryius Thomas had stage 2 CTE when he died. The previous Broncos receiver, who unexpectedly handed away in December on the age of 33, was posthumously identified with Stage 2 CTE by medical doctors at Boston College. Though CTE might need performed an element in his loss of life, medical doctors famous that each his life and loss of life “had been additionally difficult by seizures introduced on by a 2019 automotive crash,” in line with The New York Occasions. For extra particulars on the Thomas scenario, you should definitely click on right here.
- Brother of Dolphins GM anticipated to be named an NHL GM. We do not often point out NHL information, however we’ll at present. The San Jose Sharks are anticipated to call Mike Grier as their normal supervisor, in line with ESPN. Not solely would this make him the primary Black GM in NHL historical past, however he’ll even have one thing in widespread along with his brother: They will each be the overall supervisor of a career sports activities staff. Mike’s brother, Chris Grier, is the GM for the Dolphins.
- Brett Favre thinks Davante Adams‘ numbers are going to nostril dive with Raiders. Now that Davante Adams is in Las Vegas, Brett Favre is anticipating the receiver’s numbers to take a nostril dive in 2022. “I believe Derek Carr’s an excellent quarterback, however he is not in Aaron’s league but,” Favre not too long ago informed TMZ. “I would be shocked if [Adams] had the identical yr he is had the earlier yr. That is to not say he cannot do it, however I might be shocked.”
- Eagles star would not fairly agree with Miles Sanders. Final week, Miles Sanders informed CBSSports.com that he thought the Eagles may very well be an all-star staff in 2022. New Eagles receiver A.J. Brown pumped the brakes on that take over the weekend, “He is enthusiastic about what this staff may very well be,” Brown wrote on Twitter. “All of us are. However we’re not An All-Star staff. We undoubtedly may very well be with years to return. We’ve got [to] strap up our pads and show it yearly and that is what we plan to do! #1Weekatatime.”
- RGIII able to return to soccer if somebody calls. After sitting out of the NFL in 2021, Robert Griffin III is able to make a comeback. “I’m able to go proper now,” Griffin stated, by way of CBS 10 KWTX. “I prepare each day. I throw and work out. I do know what it takes to get my physique prepared and I’m doing these issues….if I get that decision this yr, subsequent yr, or 5 years from now I will probably be able to play.” In his most up-to-date NFL stint, Griffin spent three seasons with the Ravens (2018-2020), however did not play final season.
- Birmingham wins inaugural USFL title. Most of you in all probability did not even comprehend it was occurring, however I do have some vital USFL information: the league’s inaugural season is over. The Birmingham Stallions claimed the brand new league’s first title by beating the Philadelphia Stars, 33-30, in Sunday’s championship sport. If you wish to take a look at our rehash from the sport, be at liberty to click on right here.