The Kansas Metropolis Chiefs are headed to the AFC Championship Sport for the third time in three years, however they misplaced their star quarterback in Sunday afternoon’s clinching victory, with MVP candidate Patrick Mahomes exiting early in opposition to the Cleveland Browns attributable to a concussion. Whereas fill-in Chad Henne completed sturdy throughout Kansas Metropolis’s shut win over Cleveland, all eyes at the moment are on Mahomes. Can he probably return in time for subsequent Sunday’s AFC Championship? And what, precisely, does Mahomes must do to be cleared to swimsuit up in opposition to the Buffalo Payments?
We’re glad you requested. Here is every part it’s essential to know:
How lengthy will Mahomes be sidelined?
It is not possible to place a timetable on Mahomes’ return. The NFL‘s concussion protocol shouldn’t be primarily based on size of restoration, however relatively a particular five-step rehabilitation plan. That is not essentially excellent news for the Chiefs and their followers, but it surely’s not essentially dangerous, both. Your entire course of is restricted to every particular person.
For reference, nevertheless, The Athletic’s Lindsay Jones cites NFL concussion information in reporting that the median restoration time for the 29 QBs who suffered a concussion between 2015-2019 was seven days. “Restoration,” in that sense, is outlined by the QB clearing protocol and returning to the sphere. In different phrases, had been Mahomes to observe an identical pattern, he’d be proper on the verge of returning, because the Chiefs are set to play precisely seven days from his damage.
What does Mahomes must do to return?
Full the concussion protocol. To be particular, as defined on NFL.com, the restoration steps are as follows:
- The participant rests till indicators and signs return to baseline standing, and undergoes neurological, cognitive, and stability exams
- The participant begins cardio train and/or stretching and stability coaching underneath the oversight of the workforce’s medical workers
- The participant will increase workouts and/or sport-specific actions and begins supervised power coaching
- The participant continues coaching and resumes non-contact soccer actions (e.g. throwing, operating, and many others.)
- The participant is cleared by the workforce doctor for full contact and passes an unbiased neurological examination, then returns to follow
When will the Chiefs determine on his standing?
There isn’t any rush right here. Mahomes can not even return to follow till clearing the primary 4 phases of concussion protocol, and it is potential he might enter the AFC Championship Sport and not using a single full follow within the first place. In different phrases, Kansas Metropolis seemingly will not — and, technically, cannot — declare Mahomes good to go till the docs say so. That might imply Wednesday. It might imply simply earlier than the Chiefs put together to combat for an additional Tremendous Bowl bid.