I am unsure what’s taking place proper now, however my calendar says it is July and my calendar nearly by no means lies to me, so apparently at present is the beginning of July, which is bizarre, as a result of I really feel like yesterday was April 12.
Not solely is it July, however at present additionally marks one other necessary event: The 2021 NFL season might be kicking off EXACTLY 10 weeks from now, which principally means you’ve 10 weeks to nag your fantasy soccer commissioner to lastly schedule a draft for this 12 months.
Now that we’re all allowed to exit in public once more, I’ll persuade my commissioner that we should always positively maintain the draft in Las Vegas and that he ought to pay for us all to remain in a pleasant lodge. I am unsure why he can be keen to pay for it, however you must shoot your shot when you’ll be able to, proper?
Alright, that is sufficient speak about fantasy soccer. Nobody needs to listen to about my league 10 weeks earlier than the beginning of the season, so let’s get to the rundown.
As all the time, this is your weekly reminder to inform all your folks to enroll in the publication. To enroll, all you must do is click on right here after which share the hyperlink.
1. In the present day’s present: Rating the highest 10 cornerbacks within the NFL
When you learn this text day by day, you have in all probability seen that we have been rating each place group within the NFL over the previous few weeks after which doing an episode of the podcast on every rankings. In the present day, we’re masking the highest 10 corners within the NFL and since we need to be sure to’re taking our rankings severely, we determined to convey on a former NFL defensive again to assist rank the highest corners.
In our written story for the web site, Jalen Ramsey was ranked because the NFL’s prime nook, which McFadden agreed with. Nonetheless, he wasn’t fully on board with all the things else. His checklist of prime corners appears to be like barely totally different than the one we got here up with, however I am going to defer to him since he has two Tremendous Bowl rings.
This is a have a look at McFadden’s prime three corners within the NFL.
If you wish to hear McFadden’s complete prime 10 checklist, you may need to take heed to at present’s episode. To test it out — and to observe the podcast — you’ll want to click on right here.
2. Davante Adams says it might be a dream to play with Derek Carr
Though Aaron Rodgers is hogging all of the headlines in Inexperienced Bay, the Packers might quickly be coping with some extra drama and that is as a result of Davante Adams’ contract is about to run out on the finish of the 2021 season.
The Packers clearly wish to re-sign Adams, but when Rodgers finally ends up leaving Inexperienced Bay, there is not any assure that Adams goes to need to return. The opposite downside for the Packers is that Adams is already eyeing one other crew and that crew is the Raiders.
Throughout an interview with ABC 30 in Central California, Adams stated that reuniting with Derek Carr can be a “dream.” Adams and Carr have been on the identical crew in faculty at Fresno State.
“I like Derek to dying,” Adams stated. “We have got an incredible friendship and we nonetheless talk actually, actually persistently. He is one in every of my greatest mates. Clearly, it could be a dream to have the ability to play with him, however I am a Packer now. Till that time once we make that call, I assume we simply acquired to, we’ll see what occurs.”
That seems like a man who has no concept what he will do.
The excellent news for the Packers is that Adams did say lately that he plans on staying in Inexperienced Bay, though he additionally stated that the quarterback state of affairs and his contract provide will play an enormous half in his resolution. Principally, if Rodgers returns to Inexperienced Bay and the Packers make him the highest-paid receiver within the NFL, then you’ll be able to depend on Adams signing an extension with the one crew he is ever performed for. Nonetheless, if a kind of two issues adjustments — if Rodgers would not return or if the Packers aren’t keen to provide him the cash he needs — Adams might simply stroll after the 2021 season (The Packers might additionally might franchise tag him after this 12 months, however they at present have an unpleasant wage cap state of affairs and it would not be straightforward to make that work for 2022).
3. Predicting each sport on the Falcons‘ 2021 schedule
Now that summer season is right here, which means the useless a part of the NFL offseason is upon us and though issues can get type of boring throughout this era, we’ll hold issues spicy round right here by going by way of and predicting each sport on every crew’s 2021 schedule.
There are 32 groups and we’ll be doing one crew per day till we make it by way of each crew. In the present day, we’re’ going to complete our run by way of the NFC South by predicting the Falcons’ last document.
Our Patrik Walker went by way of Atlanta’s complete schedule and picked out all of the video games the Falcons are going to win and all of the video games they will lose. Sadly for brand spanking new coach Arthur Smith, Walker has him going by way of a tough first 12 months with the crew the place it blows a 28-3 lead in ever sport. Simply kidding, the Falcons do not blow a 28-3 lead in each sport, however their last document is not fairly.
This is a have a look at how Walker sees the Falcons doing in three key video games, together with the ultimate document he sees them ending up with:
- Week 1: Philadelphia at Atlanta. “Even with out Julio Jones, this can be a sport the Falcons can win. The Eagles are nonetheless attempting to determine their secondary and that is the place Calvin Ridley and Kyle Pitts can shine, together with Russell Gage and Hayden Hurst. So long as Matt Ryan retains the stress on and avoids it himself, it is a win within the residence opener.” Prediction: Falcons 35-20 over Eagles.
- Week 10: Atlanta at Dallas. “With former Falcons head coach and present Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn searching for some revenge — he is aware of Matt Ryan’s each nuance — the Falcons are actually up in opposition to it after they attempt to battle an improved Dallas protection and an offense that once more options Dak Prescott as QB1.” Prediction: Cowboys 41-23 over Falcons.
- Week 15: Atlanta at San Francisco. “Touring cross-country is brutal in and of itself, however to take action for a matchup with the 49ers is just not enjoyable. Be it Jimmy Garoppolo or Trey Lance as starter in Week 15, Kyle Shanahan is the coach and George Kittle is the tight finish and the protection is getting back from damage as top-of-the-line within the NFL.” Prediction: 49ers 30-14 over Falcons.
General, Walker is predicting that the Falcons will finish the season with a document of 6-11 and in the event that they do find yourself being that unhealthy, it would not be stunning if they begin the method of searching for a brand new quarterback.
One fascinating factor about Walker’s prediction is that he has the Falcons falling aside down the stretch. After getting off to a 3-2 begin, he has the Falcons ending the season 3-9 over their last 12 video games. If you wish to see Patrik’s prediction for every sport, ensure to click on right here so you’ll be able to try his complete story.
Coming tomorrow, we’ll be heading to the NFC North, which is our last division.
On a considerably associated be aware, can somebody please inform the Packers to deal with this Rodgers factor so we all know whether or not or not he’ll be on the crew once we make our season-long prediction for Inexperienced Bay?
4. Rating the highest 10 linebackers
As you might or could not have seen, we like to rank issues right here at CBSSports.com and due to that, we thought we’d spend the subsequent few weeks rating each place group heading into the 2021 season.
From operating backs to receivers to quarterbacks to kickers, we’ll be rating everybody and since there is a zero % likelihood that you’ll agree with every rating, I’ll be sharing the Twitter deal with of every creator so you’ll be able to argue with them about their rating on social media.
In the present day, we’ll be rating the highest 10 linebackers heading into the 2021 season. This checklist was put collectively by Jordan Dajani and if you would like to inform him how excellent it’s, or if you would like to argue with him, you are able to do that by clicking right here. One fascinating about this checklist is that it is loaded with NFC gamers: There are solely two AFC gamers within the prime 10.
High 10 linebackers
1. Bobby Wagner, Seahawks
2. Fred Warner, 49ers
3. Eric Kendricks, Vikings
4. Darius Leonard, Colts
5. Lavonte David, Buccaneers
6. Devin White, Buccaneers
7. Roquan Smith, Bears
8. Demario Davis, Saints
9. Deion Jones, Falcons
10. Tremaine Edmunds, Payments
If you need an in depth clarification of the rating, you’ll want to click on right here so you’ll be able to try Dajani complete story. Dajani additionally went on yesterday’s episode of the Choose Six Podcast to debate his checklist and if you wish to test that out, you’ll be able to click on right here.
5. Taking a look at 5 notable free brokers who’re nonetheless obtainable and the place they may signal
Free company has been happening for greater than three months now and though it looks like each good participant has been signed, that is not really the case. With coaching camp proper across the nook, there are nonetheless a couple of notable gamers who can be found and our Tyler Sullivan determined to checklist the highest 5 together with a spot that might be an excellent touchdown spot for every participant.
High 5 remaining free brokers (potential touchdown spot)
- Richard Sherman: Cowboys. “The Cowboys current an fascinating touchdown spot as effectively. Dallas has invested within the secondary over the past two seasons with second-round picks Kelvin Joseph (2021) and Trevon Diggs (2020), however they might use a veteran piece like Sherman to assist mould the still-developing unit over the subsequent season or so.”
- Le’Veon Bell: Saints. “Bell would not be the highest canine in that backfield as Alvin Kamara can be the starter, however there may very well be snaps to be attained, particularly if he can show to be a greater choice than Latavius Murray. With Drew Brees retired and both Jameis Winston or Taysom Hill about to take the reins as New Orleans’ latest starter, Sean Payton might use all of the offensive weapons he can get his fingers on to assist whomever is underneath middle.”
- Todd Gurley: Chargers. “By signing with the Chargers, Gurley would have one thing of a homecoming after taking part in in Los Angeles — albeit for the Rams — for 4 seasons of his profession and may very well be a welcome addition to the Chargers backfield.”
- Golden Tate: Patriots. “Tate lately listed his prime three touchdown spots and though the Patriots did not make the lower, we’re going off-script with our choice of New England. It is no secret that Invoice Belichick’s skill-position gamers did not go away a lot to be desired final season and so they made a push to repair that by making an enormous splash early in free company this offseason. Whereas these additions ought to assist, Tate may very well be one other savvy addition to herald and contend for a roster spot.”
- Melvin Ingram: Rams. “Rams celebrity Aaron Donald appears to love this potential marriage. Ingram may very well be checked out as a low-risk, high-upside addition that might evolve into a robust rotational piece inside their pass-rushing unit.”
If you need an in-depth clarification on why these pairings would doubtlessly work, you’ll want to click on right here.
6. Fast-fire roundup
It was a busy weekend within the NFL and because it’s practically inconceivable to maintain monitor of all the things that occurred, I went forward and put collectively a roundup for you.
- 49ers unveil new throwback uniforms. Whilst you have been sleeping final night time, the 49ers unveiled the brand new throwback uniforms that they will be sporting this 12 months. The throwback might be much like the throwback that they wore through the NFL’s seventy fifth anniversary season in 1994. Again then, the crew wore a throwback of a jersey they initially wore in 1955, which suggests this 12 months’s uniform is a throwback to a throwback because it’s throwing again to 1994 which is throwing again to 1955. I hope that every one made sense. If you wish to see the uniforms and wish to know after they’ll be sporting them, you’ll want to click on right here.
- Mike Ditka thinks the Bears ought to begin Justin Fields. If Ditka was nonetheless teaching he Bears, his plan at quarterback can be fairly easy: He’d begin Fields immediately. That was one in every of many issues that Ditka talked about throughout a current interview with us and you’ll be able to try all the factor by clicking right here.
- Doug Pederson nonetheless needs to teach. In case your favourite crew fires its coach after the upcoming season, you would possibly need to inform them to provide Pederson a name. The Tremendous Bowl-winning coach, who gained a Lombardi Trophy with the Eagles, made it clear this week that he needs to return to teaching in some unspecified time in the future within the very close to future.
- Rams star prone to retire after 2021 season. After spending 15 years within the NFL, it seems like Andrew Whitworth is about prepared to hold up his cleats for good. Throughout an interview this week, the Rams’ left sort out stated the he is in all probability going to retire following the 2021 season. Since signing with the Rams in 2017, Whitworth has began a complete of 56 video games. He had principally been an ironman over the previous 12 years — lacking solely three video games complete since 2009 — however he missed seven video games resulting from damage final 12 months and at age 39, he is possible not fully certain how way more punishment his physique can deal with.
- Larry Fitzgerald would possibly really win a championship. Throughout his 17 seasons with the Cardinals, the free agent receiver by no means gained a Tremendous Bowl, however he would possibly win a title this month. Fitzgerald is a minority proprietor of the Phoenix Suns, who simply superior to the NBA Finals after beating the Clippers on Wednesday.