One of many oldest clichés in soccer is that “protection wins championships,” however apparently that is not a lot the case anymore within the NFL. Attributable to a number of rule adjustments which have been put in place over time, offenses at the moment are thriving and when you want proof of simply how a lot they’re dominating, simply have a look at the 4 most up-to-date Tremendous Bowls.
Over the previous 4 years, each staff that has performed within the Tremendous Bowl has had one factor in widespread: All of them completed the season as one of many 5 highest-scoring groups within the NFL.
Let’s take a fast have a look at all 4 video games.
- Tremendous Bowl LI: Patriots 34-28 over Falcons. This recreation featured the NFL’s highest-scoring offense within the Falcons (33.8 factors per recreation) going up towards the league’s third-highest scoring offense in New England (27.6). The 2 groups have been averaging a mixed 61.4 factors going into the sport and so they almost hit that quantity proper on the top in New England’s extra time win that noticed the Falcons blow a 28-3 third quarter lead (Sorry, Falcons followers, as a member of the media, I’m contractually obligated to say the blown lead any time I write about this recreation).
- Tremendous Bowl LII: Eagles 41-33 over Patriots. Again in 2017, the Patriots completed because the NFL’s second-highest scoring staff, however they solely beat the Eagles by precisely one level (458-457). The purpose whole was so shut that their per recreation common of 28.6 was really the identical and it additionally made them tied for second within the NFL in scoring common. Though they nearly tied through the season, the Eagles undoubtedly scored extra factors within the Tremendous Bowl as they beat New England 41-33.
- Tremendous Bowl LIII: Patriots 13-3 over Rams. This was the lowest-scoring Tremendous Bowl of all-time, which was mildly shocking since Los Angeles went into the sport with the NFL’s second-highest scoring offense (32.9 factors per recreation) whereas New England had the fourth-highest scoring offense (27.3).
- Tremendous Bowl LIV: Chiefs 31-20 over 49ers. Final 12 months’s Tremendous Bowl gave us the NFL’s second-highest scoring staff within the 49ers (29.9) going up towards the fifth-highest scoring staff in Kansas Metropolis (28.2). Similar to the earlier three Tremendous Bowls, the staff that scored fewer factors through the common season really ended up successful the sport.
If you wish to get to the massive recreation, you need to have a high-scoring offense and this does not seem like a development that can be going away anytime quickly. This 12 months’s postseason will characteristic the 9 highest-scoring groups within the NFL. If the Tremendous Bowl development continues and two of the NFL’s 5 highest-scoring groups meet in Tampa, that is excellent news for the 5 groups under, who ranked because the top-five within the NFL this 12 months in factors scored:
1. Packers (31.8 factors per recreation)
2. Payments (31.3)
3. Buccaneers (30.8)
4. Titans (30.7)
5. Saints (30.1)
Though the Chiefs aren’t on this record, you could possibly actually make the argument that they belong there and that is as a result of they have been the NFL’s second-highest-scoring staff going into Week 17. Nonetheless, they determined to bench their starters for the ultimate week of the season and due to that, they completed the season sixth general in scoring with a median of 29.6 factors.
The bottom-scoring staff within the playoffs this 12 months is Washington, which ranked twenty fifth general with a median of 20.9 factors per recreation, so we will most likely go forward and write them off. Sorry, Washington. After all, when you’re nonetheless a believer in the entire “protection wins championships” mantra, then possibly Washington has an opportunity. Of the 5 defenses that surrendered the fewest factors this 12 months, all 5 of them made the postseason (Rams, Ravens, Steelers, Washington, Saints).
The Saints have been really the one staff within the NFL that ranked within the top-five in each scoring offense and protection — the Saints surrendered the fifth-fewest factors within the league this 12 months — so this could be Drew Brees‘ greatest shot to win his second Tremendous Bowl, which is sort of becoming since most individuals count on this to be his ultimate season.