The Houston Texans chosen Michigan receiver Nico Collins with their third-round choose within the 2021 NFL Draft. Collins was named the Alabama Sports activities Writers Affiliation 2016 All-State first workforce in his senior 12 months popping out of Clay-Chalkville Excessive College in suburban Birmingham. He acquired 20 provides, together with these from powerhouse colleges like Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Florida — however he selected Michigan. “Primarily, when you’re recruited to Alabama, you go to Alabama,” Collins stated, by way of AL.com. “However I noticed it as a chance to be completely different, and I really feel that is what I did. I really feel prefer it was finest for me.”
After a collegiate profession that included inconsistent quarterback play and passing sport disarray from a training standpoint, it is honest to surprise if Collins regrets that call.
Regardless, the previous big-time prospect has the body and instruments that translate to the following stage. The final Michigan receiver prospect who suffered from poor QB play and a foul cross sport was forgotten and lasted all the best way till the sixth spherical of the 2020 NFL Draft. When you ask the Browns how they really feel now about deciding on Donovan Peoples-Jones so late into Day 3, a rookie who made an instantaneous impression in Cleveland after Odell Beckham landed on IR, they could let you know it was their finest worth choose in all the class. Collins and Peoples-Jones are several types of prospects, however the proper NFL workforce, with an offensive system that matches Nico’s talent set, might be getting a significant worth this April.
Collins opted out of the 2020 season.
We’re breaking down all the things that you must find out about Collins from a Fantasy supervisor perspective, together with most closely fits, Dynasty outlook, measurables, scouting report, key stats and an NFL comparability.
2021 Fantasy impression
Usually, we would not anticipate a late third-round NFL draft choose to return a lot Fantasy worth in Yr 1. Nevertheless, that hasn’t all the time been the case in current drafts, and the Texans’ large receiver depth chart is large open. The Texans return Brandin Cooks as their de facto No. 1 choice. Additionally they return oft-injured veterans Randall Cobb and Keke Coutee. The latter two aren’t a lot of a risk to Collins long run and it is not inconceivable he can bounce them in targets in Yr 1. Houston continues to be searching for a real “X” receiver to interchange DeAndre Hopkins on the boundary and Collins profiles as that type of prospect, however he is uncooked and unlikely to get there in Yr 1.
After all, the elephant within the room is who will Collins be catching passes from. With Deshaun Watson at QB, his worth is rather a lot completely different than it could be with 2021 rookie draft choose Davis Mills or free agent acquisition Tyrod Taylor. If Houston’s passing sport is as inept because it might be with out Watson, Collins may have subsequent to no worth in 12 months one even when he can earn starter snaps. He is extra of a big-play receiver than somebody to focus on in PPR leagues.
The Dynasty group loves Collins’ upside with a 6-foot-4 body, and that love is rising after Collins confirmed up 15 kilos lighter on the Senior Bowl and had a powerful week in opposition to a number of the high corners. I just lately participated in a mock rookie draft the place Collins went off the board on the finish of Spherical 3 — that is the best I’ve seen him go to date. He will not go there in each rookie draft, however he’ll usually be drafted.
- Huge body and he makes use of it properly to field out defenders in contested-catch conditions.
- One of many longest athletes at WR — a 7-foot-9 wingspan — and it reveals up in his sport.
- Untapped potential on account of poor QB play and an inefficient passing sport at Michigan.
- Nice in contested-catch conditions on 50/50 balls.
- Can stack CBs and win vertically down the sphere regardless of being a “build-up” pace athlete.
- Sturdy fingers when jammed up in press protection.
- Glorious physique management within the air and when extending away from his body to make tough catches.
- Very bodily as a receiver and makes use of his physicality properly.
- Very sturdy fingers on the catch level and a pure fingers catcher.
- Regardless of not being essentially the most fluid athlete, he is efficient on slants and curls/comebacks.
- Initiatives as an instantaneous pink zone risk.
- Lack of straight-line pace.
- Not an explosive athlete off the road of scrimmage or general — would not create separation along with his athleticism.
- Not a really fluid or versatile athlete, relative to the place.
- His footwork off the road of scrimmage wants work and sometimes leaves him behind the eight ball in routes.
- Not a very productive collegiate receiver.
- Opted out of the 2020 season.
- Looks as if a poor match for a West Coast, quick-hitting offense based mostly on his talent set.
*Collins opted out of the 2020 season.
|2019 v high 25||6||19||314||1||16.5||0|
|2018 v high 25||5||20||363||2||18.2||0|
Superior stats to know
- 19.7 yards per reception in 2019 within the 92nd percentile (per Participant Profiler)
- 9.8% drop charge (per Professional Soccer Focus)
- 52% contested catch charge (per PFF)
- Catch radius is within the 94th percentile amongst all WRs (per Participant Profiler)
- Breakout age (19.5) within the eightieth percentile (per Participant Profiler)
Collins is a tough participant to seek out an NFL comp for as a result of he profiles someplace between Laquon Treadwell and Michael Thomas (Saints), however he is nearer to Treadwell on that scale. His lack of explosion and suppleness off the road of scrimmage might maintain him again from creating separation and discovering success on the NFL stage, however his freakish catch radius, sturdy fingers and physicality make him a pleasant match within the pink zone and in vertically-oriented offenses. I am going to choose comping Collins to a poor man’s Mike Williams (Chargers).