There was a motive the Dallas Cowboys entered their rematch towards the Washington Soccer Staff as sizable favorites to maneuver to 11-4 on the season, however nobody may’ve predicted the crime scene left at AT&T Stadium in Week 16. After looking desperately for his or her mojo for practically two months, Dak Prescott and the offense lastly woke up to match serve with an electrical protection, and particular groups additionally joined the fray in a 56-14 dismantling of WFT that despatched a really clear message to each the NFC East and the NFL as an entire: the Cowboys are nonetheless one of the harmful groups within the league after they’re firing on all cylinders.
It was a jaw-dropping effort in all three phases by Dallas, who noticed Prescott rack up 4 touchdowns and greater than 300 yards passing within the first half alone, and the primary two quarters additionally noticed the protection seize two interceptions — together with an early takeaway from Trevon Diggs on Washington’s first play from scrimmage and a pick-six from DeMarcus Lawrence — together with three sacks.
The wheels continued to fall off for Taylor Heinicke and Co. within the second half, and even backup Cooper Rush acquired in on the motion when he tossed a landing cross to wideout Malik Turner. In all, it wasn’t merely a dominant efficiency by the Cowboys, in some ways it was essentially the most dominant they’ve ever had towards Washington.
Here is a take a look at the highest 10 eye-popping info from the blowout in Arlington:
1. Greatest level differential within the rivalry’s historical past (42)
2. WFT’s second-largest loss within the final 60 years
3. Lawrence’s pick-six marks fifth for Cowboys in 2021, essentially the most in franchise historical past
4. Diggs’ interception ties him with Everson Partitions for many in a season in franchise historical past
5. Diggs is considered one of solely seven gamers for the reason that merger to report 11 interceptions
6. 4 totally different Cowboys WRs with 50+ yards in a single half for the primary time in franchise historical past
7. Prescott turns into first QB to throw a TD to RB, TE, WR and OL in a regular-season sport
8. First time in Cowboys historical past each OL and DL produced a landing
9. 4 passing TDs by Prescott in first half most in franchise historical past
10. Cowboys’ 42 factors earlier than halftime tied for many first-half manufacturing in franchise historical past
There was no complacency within the Cowboys in Week 16, even after clinching the NFC East title forward of kickoff, due to the energy of victory tiebreaker towards the Philadelphia Eagles falling their method. A loss to Washington would’ve dropped them again to No. 4 within the NFC playoff seedings, however they as an alternative stay within the No. 2 seat with two video games remaining and a really actual shot at stealing away the No. 1 seed — if the Inexperienced Bay Packers endure a loss within the ultimate two weeks of the common season.
It was a whole sport from the Cowboys and so they appeared extra deadly than they’ve all season, seemingly now peaking on the proper time. All they should do now’s set up consistency earlier than the postseason arrives, however nothing can take away from what they had been in a position to do towards Washington of their second assembly in solely three weeks.
If Rivera thought his crew would have a greater displaying after being thumped in Week 14, he made a “large mistake”.