On Sept. 19, 2004, Ben Roethlisberger made his NFL debut. George W. Bush was nonetheless in his first time period as president, Usher’s “Yeah!” was the No. 1 track in America, and the primary iPhone would not be out for an additional three years.
A lot has modified since Roethlisberger changed injured teammate Tommy Maddox in Pittsburgh’s second recreation of the 2004 season. One factor that has remained the identical, nonetheless, is No. 7 being the beginning quarterback for the Steelers. And regardless of some uncertainty, Roethlisberger will likely be again for an 18th season in 2021. It may very properly be his final season in Pittsburgh, because the 39-year-old, future Corridor of Fame quarterback is getting into the ultimate yr of this contract.
Earlier than Roethlisberger kicks off his 18th season in Buffalo, we determined to rank the primary 17 seasons of his profession. The standards when doing the rating consists of:
- Particular person accomplishments
- Staff success
- Playoff success (or lack thereof)
With out additional ado, listed here are the rankings of Huge Ben’s finest seasons, beginning with probably the most bazaar campaigns of his profession.
- Season highlights: Led NFL in common passing yards per recreation (328.2); 719 passing yards in two video games vs. the eventual champion Broncos
- Favourite receiver: Antonio Brown (136 receptions, 1,834 yards, 10 touchdowns)
Roethlisberger was the NFL’s finest quarterback in 2015. A yr after he tied Drew Brees for the NFL’s passing title, Huge Ben led the NFL in common passing yards per recreation regardless of lacking 4 complete video games and elements of 4 others with accidents. This was additionally the yr by which Roethlisberger received his solely begin as a “backup,” as he began the Steelers‘ Week 10 recreation behind Landry Jones earlier than returning to throw for 379 yards and three touchdowns. Every week later, he threw for 456 yards in opposition to Seattle’s “Legion of Increase” protection. He had 380 yards and three touchdowns in opposition to the Broncos‘ formidable protection in Week 15. And per week after main the Steelers to a come-from-behind win over the Bengals within the wild card spherical, Roethlisberger threw for 339 yards in practically main the Steelers to an upset win over the eventual champion Broncos regardless of not having Antonio Brown, Le’Veon Bell and DeAngelo Williams.
Season spotlight: Sport-winning landing go to Santonio Holmes in Tremendous Bowl XLIII
Favourite receiver: Hines Ward (81 catches, 1043 yards, seven touchdowns)
Not his finest statistical season, however Roethlisberger had arguably the best second of his profession on the finish of the 2008 season. Trailing the Cardinals, 23-20, late in Tremendous Bowl XLIII, Roethlisberger capped off Pittsburgh’s 78-yard drive along with his completely thrown landing go to Santonio Holmes in what is taken into account one of many biggest performs in Tremendous Bowl historical past. In victory, Roethlisberger grew to become the tenth beginning quarterback to win a number of Tremendous Bowls. In Baltimore seven weeks earlier, his game-winning landing go to Holmes clinched the AFC North division title.
- Season spotlight: Youngest beginning QB in historical past to win Tremendous Bowl (23)
- Favourite receiver: Hines Ward (69 catches, 975 yards, 11 touchdowns)
Following a historic rookie season, Roethlisberger led the NFL in a number of statistical classes in 2005. After a 7-5 begin, Roethlisberger helped the Steelers win their remaining eight video games that included a 21-10 win over Seattle in Tremendous Bowl XL. He put up a 148.7 passer score in Pittsburgh’s wild card win over Cincinnati, per week earlier than his “Immaculate Deal with” saved the Steelers’ 21-18 win over the top-seeded Colts. In Denver for the AFC Championship Sport, Roethlisberger threw for 275 yards and two touchdowns on 21 of 29 passing whereas additionally working for the game-clinching rating. Whereas his efficiency in Tremendous Bowl XL has been justifiably scrutinized, Roethlisberger scored the Steelers’ first landing, which he arrange along with his 37-yard completion to Ward on a Third-and-28 play.
- Season spotlight: OROY, 13-0 document as Pittsburgh’s beginning quarterback
- Favourite receiver: Hines Ward (80 catches, 1,004 yards, 4 touchdowns)
Roethlisberger watched the 2004 season-opener on the sideline earlier than being thrust into motion when Tommy Maddox went down with an harm in Week 2. Every week later, regardless of taking part in in a monsoon in Miami, Roethlisberger threw the game-clinching landing go. He would go on to win his subsequent 12 video games underneath middle that season to complete the 2004 season with an NFL rookie document of 13-0. The NFL’s Offensive Rookie of the 12 months, Roethlisberger hit the proverbial rookie wall within the playoffs, enduring a shaky efficiency in Pittsburgh’s divisional spherical win over the Jets earlier than tossing three interceptions within the Steelers’ 41-27 loss to New England within the AFC Championship Sport. Sarcastically, the Patriots would hand Roethlisberger his first common season loss in Week 3 of the 2005 season.
- Season highlights: Named to 3rd consecutive Professional Bowl; helped lead Steelers on nine-game successful streak; superior to AFC Championship Sport for fourth time
- Favourite receiver: Antonio Brown (106 catches, 1,284 yards, 12 touchdowns)
Regardless of present process knee surgical procedure in October and never having Martavis Bryant for your complete season, Roethlisberger was chosen to his third consecutive Professional Bowl in 2016. After throwing for 408 yards and three touchdowns in a Week 10 loss to the Cowboys, Roethlisberger received his remaining six begins of the common season that included his game-winning landing go to Brown on Christmas Day that clinched the AFC North division title. Within the playoffs, Roethlisberger threw two landing passes to Brown in Pittsburgh’s wild card win over the Dolphins. He made a number of key throws in Pittsburgh’s divisional spherical win in Kansas Metropolis the next week. Roethlisberger and the Steelers had been unable to beat Le’Veon Bell’s early exit in New England, nonetheless, as Pittsburgh was unable to maintain tempo with the eventual Tremendous Bowl champions.
- Season spotlight: Grew to become eleventh QB in historical past to start out in no less than three Tremendous Bowls
- Favourite receiver: Mike Wallace (60 catches, 1,257 yards, 10 touchdowns)
Roethlisberger threw simply 5 interceptions in 12 common season video games. Dealing with a 14-point halftime deficit within the divisional spherical of the playoffs, Roethlisberger’s two second-half landing passes, alongside along with his 58-yard completion to Brown, led the Steelers to a come-from-behind win over the Ravens. Towards the Jets within the AFC Championship Sport, Roethlisberger ran for a rating whereas throwing the game-clinching completion. Roethlisberger performed properly in Tremendous Bowl XLV, however his two interceptions (together with an important fumble by Rashard Mendenhall) contributed to the Steelers’ 31-25 loss to the Packers. The 2010 season was Roethlisberger’s first with middle Maurkice Pouncey, who would change into his finest good friend on the crew over the course of the subsequent decade.
- Season highlights: Named to 3rd Professional Bowl; tied Drew Brees for NFL passing title; had consecutive six TD video games
- Favourite receiver: Antonio Brown (129 catches, 1,698 yards, 13 touchdowns)
After consecutive 8-8 seasons, Pittsburgh’s brass gave Roethlisberger his coveted tall receiver in 6-foot-4 rookie Martavis Bryant. Bell got here again to Pittsburgh in considerably higher form following a stable rookie season, whereas Brown continued his ascension because the league’s finest receiver. The end result was a breakout season for Roethlisberger, who received his first passing title whereas main the Steelers to their first division title since 2010. He set an NFL document by throwing six landing passes in consecutive video games. In his first six-touchdown efficiency, Roethlisberger threw for a whopping 522 yards in a midseason win over the Colts. An early playoff exit (Roethlisberger threw two picks in Pittsburgh’s wild card loss to Baltimore) is why this season is not ranked larger.
- Season highlights: Chosen to fourth consecutive Professional Bowl; first participant in NFL historical past with three profession 500-yard passing video games; set NFL document for many completions in non-overtime recreation (44 vs. Ravens in Week 14)
- Favourite receiver: Antonio Brown (101 catches, 1,533 yards, 9 touchdowns)
In what was the ultimate season with Todd Haley as his offensive coordinator, Roethlisberger was named to the Professional Bowl for a fourth consecutive yr. In 15 video games, Roethlisberger threw for 4,251 yards with 28 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. He bounced again after throwing 5 picks in a Week 5 loss to the Jaguars by throwing the game-winning landing go to Brown the subsequent week in Kansas Metropolis in opposition to the beforehand undefeated Chiefs. His 506 yards helped lead the Steelers to a one-point win over the Ravens that clinched the AFC North division title. Roethlisberger, in a shedding effort, threw for 469 yards and a playoff profession excessive 5 landing passes in opposition to Jacksonville within the divisional spherical. In addition to Roethlisberger performed, his two turnovers led to 14 Jaguars factors, serving to Jacksonville construct a 28-7 lead earlier than holding on for a 45-42 win.
- Season highlights: Named to first Professional Bowl; set then franchise single-season TD go document (32)
- Favourite receivers: Santonio Holmes (52 catches, 942 yards, eight touchdowns), Hines Ward (71 catches, 732 yards, seven touchdowns)
In his first season with Mike Tomlin and new offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, Roethlisberger shed his label as a recreation supervisor who wanted a dominant protection and a robust working recreation to win. He threw for a then-franchise document 32 touchdowns whereas serving to the Steelers return to the playoffs after a one-year absence. Roethlisberger additionally threw fewer than half as many interceptions (11) as he did through the earlier season (23). He struggled to maintain the ball within the playoffs, nonetheless, as Roethlisberger threw three interceptions in Pittsburgh’s wild card loss to the Jaguars.
- Season highlights: Gained first outright NFL passing title; broke personal franchise single-season TD go document (34)
- Favourite receiver: JuJu Smith-Schuster (111 receptions, 1,426 yards, seven touchdowns)
This season was a curler coaster journey for Roethlisberger. He received his second passing title after throwing for five,129 yards, the seventh-highest complete in league historical past. However he additionally tied the league-high with 16 interceptions that included a badly timed choose in a late-season loss in Denver. The loss was the primary of 4 late-season defeats for the Steelers, who missed the playoffs after a 7-2-1 begin. Roethlisberger had a number of eye-popping statistical performances that included a 1-on-1 duel with Patrick Mahomes in Week 2. Mahomes threw for 326 yards and 6 touchdowns whereas Roethlisberger countered with 452 yards and 4 scores as the 2 groups racked up a mixed 79 factors.
- Season highlights: Named to second Professional Bowl; broke Terry Bradshaw’s franchise document for many profession completions
- Favourite receiver: Mike Wallace (72 receptions, 1,193 yards, eight touchdowns)
Roethlisberger was named to his second Professional Bowl whereas serving to lead the Steelers to a 12-4 common season document. The spotlight was Roethlisberger’s 365-yard, two-touchdown efficiency in Pittsburgh’s Week 8 win over Brady and the Patriots. The lowlight was the Steelers’ additional time loss to Tim Tebow and the Broncos within the wild card spherical. Through the common season, Huge Ben took benefit of a younger however proficient receiving corps that featured Professional Bowlers in Brown and Wallace in addition to future Professional Bowler Emmanuel Sanders.
- Season highlights: Led Steelers to 11-0 begin, finest in franchise historical past; broke Mike Webster’s franchise document for many video games performed
- Favourite receivers: Diontae Johnson (88 catches, 923 yards, seven touchdowns), JuJu Smith Schuster (97 catches, 831 yards, 9 touchdowns), Chase Claypool (62 catches, 873 yards, 9 touchdowns)
A yr faraway from elbow surgical procedure, Roethlisberger confirmed he was nonetheless able to taking part in at a excessive degree after serving to lead the Steelers to an 11-0 begin. Accidents, dropped passes, and a predictable offense in the end contributed to the Steelers’ 1-5 end. Roethlisberger appeared to lose a few of his accuracy on his deep passes, though he did join with Johnson on a 39-yard landing go that keyed the Steelers’ Week 16 division-clinching comeback win over the Colts. Within the wild card spherical, Roethlisberger threw for 501 yards and 4 touchdowns, however his 4 interceptions and his lack of ability to scoop up a fumble on the sport’s first drive contributed to Pittsburgh’s 48-37 loss to Cleveland.
- Season spotlight: Sport-winning landing go to Mike Wallace capped thrilling late-season win over Aaron Rodgers and Packers.
- Favourite receivers: Santonio Holmes (79 catches, 1,248 yards, 5 touchdowns), Hines Ward (95 catches, 1,167 yards, six touchdowns)
This was Roethlisberger’s finest statistical season up till that time. He set then profession highs with 4,238 yards whereas finishing 66.6% of his passes. He struggled, nonetheless, in Pittsburgh’s midseason losses to Cincinnati and Oakland that had been a part of a five-game shedding streak. The Steelers rebounded with three straight wins however missed the playoffs with a 9-7 document.
- Season spotlight: Rallied Steelers from 0-4 begin to 8-8 end for tenth consecutive non-losing season
- Favourite receiver: Antonio Brown (110 catches, 1,499 yards, eight touchdowns)
At totally different factors within the season, the 2013 Steelers had been 0-4, 2-6 and 5-8 earlier than rallying to complete with an 8-8 document and simply outdoors the AFC playoff image. Roethlisberger threw simply 4 interceptions through the season’s remaining seven video games after throwing 10 picks within the first 9. Roethlisberger developed a fast rapport with Bell, who caught 45 passes regardless of lacking the season’s first three video games with an harm. This was additionally the primary monster season by Brown, who was chosen to his second Professional Bowl.
- Season spotlight: Helped rally visiting Steelers to come-from-behind win over draft classmate Eli Manning and the defending champion Giants in Week 9
- Favourite receivers: Mike Wallace (64 catches, 836 yards, eight touchdowns), Heath Miller (71 catches, 816 yards, eight touchdowns)
Roethlisberger threw 26 touchdowns (in opposition to simply eight interceptions) regardless of lacking three video games to harm. After successful one recreation throughout his absence, the Steelers went 1-3 following Roethlisberger’s return. The crushing defeat got here at dwelling in opposition to the Bengals in Week 16, as Roethlisberger’s interception with 24 seconds left arrange Cincinnati’s game-winning subject purpose that eradicated Pittsburgh from playoff competition. All through the season, Roethlisberger did not obtain a lot assist from a working recreation that completed twenty sixth within the league. He did obtain a profession yr from Miller, who received crew MVP honors.
- Season spotlight: Sport-winning, 67-yard landing go in additional time to Santonio Holmes in Pittsburgh’s season-finale and remaining recreation for coach Invoice Cowher
- Favourite receiver: Hines Ward (74 catches, 975 yards, six touchdowns)
Problems following a critical bike accident stored Roethlisberger sidelined for Pittsburgh’s season-opening win over Miami. Roethlisberger was by no means fairly himself through the ’06 season. He threw a league-high 18 interceptions whereas finishing lower than 60% of his passes. The main target of the Steelers offense this season shifted to Willie Parker, who ran for 1,494 yards and 13 scores that included a pair of 200-yard dashing performances.
This season was primarily a wash as Roethlisberger missed the ultimate 14 video games after present process elbow surgical procedure. He threw for 351 yards with one interception on 35 of 62 passing in six quarters of labor. With out Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh began the season 0-3 earlier than the successful eight of its subsequent 10 video games largely on the energy of its protection (which was buoyed by the early-season acquisition of security Minkah Fitzpatrick). Roethlisberger’s absence was felt in December, nonetheless, because the Steelers dropped their remaining three video games whereas lacking the playoffs for a second straight yr.
Can Huge Ben return to glory? Will Najee Harris rush for 1,000 yards in his rookie season? Get the newest Steelers scoop from Bryan DeArdo, our native skilled who’s on the bottom in Pittsburgh, by downloading the CBS Sports activities app. If you have already got the app, favourite the Steelers to get up-to-the-second information.