After 43 years of 16-game common seasons, NFL house owners have voted in favor of including a seventeenth sport to the schedule for the 2021 season. Including yet one more sport to the schedule was one thing that was included within the 2020 collective bargaining settlement, together with the expanded playoff discipline, which was instantly applied.
From a historic standpoint, including one other sport to the schedule will possible end in every of the league’s beforehand present single-season information being damaged. And whereas the historical past books is not going to distinguish between 16- and 17-game seasons, the next information will — a minimum of unofficially — perpetually stand because the NFL‘s particular person information for a 16-game common season. A few of these information (particularly the passing information) may very well be damaged as early as this season. Eric Dickerson’s speeding report, nonetheless, might proceed to face because the all-time report for fairly a while.
This is a take a look at the notable particular person NFL information for a 16-game season, information that at the moment are frozen in time.
Passing yards: Peyton Manning – 5,477 (2013 with Broncos)
- The league’s MVP that season with the Broncos, Manning broke Drew Brees’ earlier mark (set in 2011) by a single yard. Previous to Manning’s 2013 season, the NFL’s best passing season belonged to Dan Marino, who threw for five,084 yards and 48 touchdowns (astonishing numbers for that point) in 1984.
Passing touchdowns: Peyton Manning – 55 (2013 with Broncos)
- Manning’s 55 touchdowns broke the earlier report held by Tom Brady, who threw 50 touchdowns through the Patriots‘ excellent 2007 common season.
Passes intercepted: Vinny Testaverde – 35 (1988 with Bucs)
- The all-time report is held by George Blanda, who tossed 42 picks through the 14-game 1962 season. Corridor of Famers Fran Tarkenton (32 in 1978 with Vikings) and Ken Stabler (30 in 1978 with Raiders) together with Richard Todd (30 in 1980 with Jets) and present Saints quarterback Jameis Winston (30 in 2019 with Bucs) have been the one different quarterbacks to throw a minimum of 30 interceptions throughout a 16-game season.
Dashing yards: Eric Dickerson – 2,105 (1984 with Rams)
- Just a few have been shut, however no working again was in a position to break Dickerson’s 16-game speeding report set with the Rams. The closest anybody got here to catching Dickerson was Adrian Peterson, who completed with 2,097 speeding yards in 2012 with the Vikings.
Dashing touchdowns: LaDainian Tomlinson – 28 (2006 with Chargers)
- A fantasy soccer legend, Tomlinson’s 28 touchdowns in 2006 broke a tie between Shaun Alexander (2005) and Priest Holmes (2003) for the all-time report. Tomlinson was named league MVP throughout his record-breaking season.
Dashing makes an attempt: Larry Johnson – 416 (2006 with Chiefs)
- Contemplating the NFL’s present working backs-by-committee development, Johnson’s report might go unchallenged for some time.
Receptions: Michael Thomas – 149 (2019 with Saints)
- The present Saints receiver broke Marvin Harrison’s earlier mark of 143 catches set through the 2002 season. Antonio Brown and Julio Jones are tied for third after each gamers caught 136 passes in 2015.
- “Megatron” broke the earlier mark held Jerry Rice, who tallied 1,848 receiving yards in 1995. The second and third all-time marks are held by Julio Jones, who got here inside 93 yards of matching Johnson’s report in 2015. With the addition of a seventeenth sport, count on the league’s first 2,000-yard receiving someday within the very close to future.
Receiving touchdowns: Randy Moss – 23 (2007, Patriots)
- Moss broke the report beforehand held by Rice, who caught 22 touchdowns in simply 12 video games in 1987. Davante Adams‘ 18 touchdowns in 2020 places him in a tie for third place with Mark Clayton (1984) and Sterling Sharpe (1994).
All-purpose yards: 2,696 – Darren Sproles (2011, Saints)
- Sproles broke Derrick Mason’s 11-year-old report by 6 yards. Throughout his record-breaking season, Sproles rushed for 603 yards (whereas averaging 6.9 yards per carries), tallied 703 receiving yards and racked up 1,383 punt/kickoff return yards.
Sacks: Michael Strahan – 22.5 (2001, Giants)
- Whereas controversy surrounded his ultimate sack, Strahan however broke Mark Gastineau’s 17-year-old report within the ultimate moments of the 2001 season. Jared Allen got here inside one sack of breaking Strahan’s report in 2011.
Most occasions sacked: 76 – David Carr (2002, Texans)
- Carr’s report was set through the Texans‘ inaugural season. Carr broke the report previously held by Randall Cunningham, who was taken down 72 occasions through the 1986 season. Carr was sacked 68 occasions — the third-highest complete in league historical past — in 2005.
- Present Ravens cornerback Marlon Humphrey completed two pressured fumbles shy of matching the all-time report in 2020. Cardinals go rusher Chandler Jones and T.J. Watt every completed with eight pressured fumbles (tied with Humphrey for seventh all time) in 2019.
Tackles for loss: 39 – J.J. Watt (2012, Texans)
- Watt really holds the highest three spots on this record. He racked up 29 tackles for loss through the 2014 and 2015 seasons. Chandler Jones (28 in 2017) and Von Miller (28 in 2012) are tied for fourth on the all-time record.
Interceptions: 13 – Lester Hayes (1980, Raiders)
- Evening Prepare Lane’s 14 interceptions within the 12-game 1952 common season stays the all-time report. However the 16-game report belongs to Hayes, who had three extra interceptions known as again on account of penalty throughout his outstanding 1980 marketing campaign. Hayes’ play that season helped the Raiders win their second Tremendous Bowl.
Passes defensed: 31 – Darrelle Revis (2009, Jets)
- “Revis Island” is accountable for probably the most go breakups in NFL historical past. Revis broke a primary place tie that was previously shared by Sheldon Brown (27 in 2005) and Troy Vincent (27 in 2001).
Tackles: 156 – Ray Lewis (1997, Ravens)
- Lewis’ 156 tackles is 20 greater than the second-highest complete (Patrick Willis, 2007). Lewis tallied a minimum of 100 tackles eight occasions throughout his Corridor of Fame profession.
Subject targets: 44 – David Akers (2011, Eagles)
- Akers and Neil Rackers (40 in 2005) are the one gamers to make a minimum of 40 discipline targets in a single season. Present Ravens kicker Justin Tucker is tied for sixth all time with 38 made discipline targets through the 2013 and 2016 seasons.
Punt return yards: 875 – Desmond Howard (1996, Packers)
- Howard’s stellar 1996 marketing campaign ended with him turning into the primary participant to win Tremendous Bowl MVP. His 99-yard kickoff return was the ultimate landing scored in Inexperienced Bay’s 35-21 win over New England in Tremendous Bowl XXXI.
Kick return yards: 2,186 – MarTay Jenkins (2000, Cardinals)
- The previous Cardinal is the one participant with a minimum of 2,000 kick returner yards. Josh Cribbs (1,809 yards in 2007) and Michael Lewis (1,807 yards in 2002) are the one different gamers with greater than 1,800 return yards.
Complete kick and punt return yards: 2,432 – Michael Lewis (2002, Saints)
- Former Browns returner Josh Cribbs (2,214 yards in 2007) is the one participant who has come near matching Lewis’ report.
- Peterson and Hester are tied for first with former Lion Jack Christiansen (1951) and former Bronco Rick Upchurch (1976).
Kickoff returns for touchdowns: 3 – Ron Brown (1985, Rams), Josh Cribbs (2009, Browns), Andre’ Davis (2007, Texans), Jacoby Ford (2010, Raiders), Mel Grey (1994, Lions), Terrence McGee (2004, Payments), Darrick Vaughn (2000, Falcons), Leon Washington (2007, Jets and 2010, Seahawks)
- The all-time report remains to be held by Cecil Turner (1970) and Travis Williams (1967). Raymond Clayborn (1977), Gale Sayers (1967) and Abe Woodson (1963) returned three kickoffs for touchdowns throughout 14-game seasons.