Two NFC groups kicked off the 2021 quarterback carousel forward of Tremendous Bowl LV due to the Lions and Rams‘ blockbuster swap of Matthew Stafford and Jared Goff. A 3rd NFC staff — and one other big-name QB commerce — won’t be far behind. Whereas many believed the Eagles employed new coach Nick Sirianni largely to revive former MVP candidate Carson Wentz below heart, NFL Community reported Thursday that Philadelphia has begun listening to provides for its allegedly disgruntled signal-caller.
There’s an opportunity the Eagles by no means get the supply they need and embrace an ungainly, if not messy, return by Wentz in 2021. There’s additionally an argument Philly should not store the QB in any respect, with the choice of revisiting a succession plan in 2022. However as some have speculated, it is unlikely leaks of the staff fielding calls would even floor if substantive commerce talks aren’t already underway, and/or Wentz is not wholly dedicated to forcing the Eagles’ hand for a cut up.
A day after ESPN’s Adam Schefter recommended as a lot, saying Wentz would favor a recent begin elsewhere however will not be moved until the Eagles obtain what they deem “truthful worth,” the massive query facilities on precisely that: Honest worth. What’s it, in Wentz’s case?
Wentz’s projected commerce worth
In contrast to Stafford, who struck a mutual settlement with Detroit to discover a new residence and has an extended, extra confirmed observe document, Wentz is a little bit of an enigma. His 2020 regression was historic for a staff that is now in full transition, and his $128 million contract is as daunting because the one the Rams unloaded with Goff. However he is additionally simply 28 with 4 good — and infrequently nice — different seasons below his belt. Then once more, he is simply one among, oh, a dozen totally different established starters who could possibly be out there in an unprecedented QB market.
Schefter estimated this week that the Eagles will probably desire a minimal of a first-round draft decide in return for Wentz. That’d be ideally suited, each optically and from a roster-building standpoint, for them. However it feels awfully unlikely, until the Eagles are throwing in a decide of their very own. Wentz has at all times been a superior expertise compared to Goff, whose large contract necessitated the Rams pay greater than anticipated to amass Stafford, however simply because the Eagles will not pay somebody to take Wentz’s deal in an analogous method (and mark our phrases: they will not) doesn’t suggest his market is bursting on the seams.
Within the wake of the sudden Goff-Stafford deal, creativity might be key right here. If the Eagles truly transfer Wentz, there is a truthful probability it will not be a historically structured this-for-that swap. Perhaps it includes a number of picks from either side, or a participant or two as effectively. However when you’re searching for a possible reference, the closest current comparisons to Wentz — in tough phrases of age, expertise, upside and contract state of affairs — look like Kevin Kolb, who was dealt by the Eagles to the Cardinals in 2011; and Alex Smith, who was traded from the 49ers to the Chiefs in 2013.
If it is not apparent to you already, these are imperfect comparisons. Wentz is neither Kolb nor Smith; all three have or had very totally different careers and enjoying types. However it’s not simple to search out many commerce examples of equally established QBs — NFL groups are likely to favor retaining or rebuilding younger signal-callers, not buying and selling them away! Here is a glance:
QB: Kevin Kolb
Traded for: Second-round draft decide, CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
Kolb was 26 on the time of his commerce, two years youthful than Wentz, and had a surprisingly comparable contract; he joined Arizona with only one yr remaining on a $12.25 million extension, which might’ve made him the NFL‘s Tenth-highest-paid QB that season. (Wentz would price an buying staff $25.4M in 2021, or the Twelfth-highest QB cap hit, however could possibly be reduce for a financial savings of $6.7M in 2022, or $19M in 2023). Kolb was rather more of an unknown, departing Philly with simply seven profession begins, however had simply misplaced his job to Michael Vick, partly as a result of harm.
QB: Alex Smith
Traded for: Second-round draft decide, conditional (second-round) decide
Smith was 29 on the time of his commerce, only a yr older than Wentz, and equally had a several-year harm historical past after coming in as a excessive first-rounder. His cap hit in 2013, when he was dealt, was considerably decrease — $8.5 million, or Sixteenth-highest amongst QBs — however he’d additionally simply misplaced his job to a youthful twin risk in Colin Kaepernick. He’d began 75 video games as much as that time, not far off Wentz’s 68.
Kolb was bought as a developmental piece, whereas Smith was bought as a reclamation venture. The Eagles may conceivably promote Wentz as one thing in between. Both method, the compensation right here is essential: Getting one thing like a second-round draft decide, plus a secondary asset, like one other decide or potential starter, appears like a sensible ceiling for a transfer on this offseason. If the staff is satisfied that is not sufficient, perhaps Wentz is again. However the ground may simply be a lot decrease: It is truthful to count on some provides, based mostly on different QBs out there, in addition to Wentz’s regression over the past two years, to look extra like a single mid-rounder.
“His worth will rely upon the variety of severe suitors,” says Joel Corry, CBS Sports activities contributor and former agent and cap knowledgeable. “I can not see Philly doing a Brock Osweiler-type wage dump. Nick Foles went to Chicago for a fourth-round compensatory decide. Philly will need extra. Personally, I would not hand over a first- or second-round decide based mostly on this season’s regression. The very best guess could also be a conditional 2022 decide that might elevate to a first-round decide based mostly on how Wentz and/or the buying staff carry out in 2021.”
Doubtless touchdown spots
- Carolina Panthers: They’re available in the market for a veteran improve, however going from Teddy Bridgewater to Wentz won’t be vital sufficient when Carolina can simply go for cheaper upside within the draft.
- Las Vegas Raiders: As strong because the expendable Derek Carr has been, Jon Gruden is extra more likely to swing for a veteran successor at QB than draft one, and each he and common supervisor Mike Mayock, a Philly native, are large followers of Wentz.
- New York Jets: Former Eagles govt Joe Douglas is aware of Wentz effectively from his time in Philadelphia, and the Jets have loads of cap house to soak up his deal, however why would not they somewhat take their very own man within the draft?
- San Francisco 49ers: Like Carolina, they’re within the hunt for a greater veteran arm, and Wentz’s athleticism would certainly intrigue Kyle Shanahan, although it is laborious to say he’d be a simple promote over Jimmy Garoppolo.
- Washington Soccer Staff: They will most likely name about each out there QB, and whereas the Eagles have traded a franchise title to Washington earlier than (see: McNabb, Donovan), they do not need to watch him proper his profession enjoying them twice a yr.
- Chicago Bears: A Nick Foles reunion would convey Wentz’s dramatic profession full circle, however we already know the Bears are hungry for a brand new QB, and so they’ve received each a GM in Ryan Tempo who’s focused Wentz earlier than and the QB’s outdated place coach from 2017.
- Denver Broncos: If John Elway nonetheless maintained ultimate say over the roster, this could be much more probably, however Denver is perpetually a scorching spot for veteran QB acquisitions, and there is sufficient youth and protection already in place to justify a raffle.
- Indianapolis Colts: The match that is been overwhelmed to loss of life, Indy checks all of the packing containers now that Stafford’s out of the image: They’re loaded with cash, they don’t seem to be primed to get a high rookie QB, and so they’re able to compete now below Wentz’s former offensive coordinator in Frank Reich, reportedly one of many QB’s most trusted NFL mentors. It helps Indy is a extra laid-back market.
- New England Patriots: Invoice Belichick isn’t one to shrink back from big-name reclamation initiatives, the Pats desperately want a possible long-term resolution and have the money to swing large, and Eagles GM Howie Roseman trades with New England a ton.