The Chicago Bears added extra expertise to their backfield on Day 3 of the 2021 NFL Draft in offering a operating mate for quarterback Justin Fields after they drafted Khalil Herbert. The previous Virginia Tech operating again is certainly one of my sneaky-favorite Dynasty values and will return 2021 redraft worth as effectively. Herbert is a little bit of a late-blooming operating again prospect whose breakout did not come till the 2020 season after transferring from Kansas (the place he first arrived in 2016) to Virginia Tech. However do not let his age, diminutive dimension (which really works his favor, however extra on that later) or late breakout lead you astray. Herbert can ball, and in my thoughts, he is probably the most underrated prospect at his place in the complete class.
Herbert is used to being underrated and unheralded. He by no means topped 1,000 dashing yards in any season out of American Heritage Excessive College in Plantation, Fla., so he entered school soccer as a three-star RB recruit (247Sports). Actually, Kansas was his solely Energy 5 provide. Whereas Herbert confirmed some indicators at Kansas, his breakout got here at Virginia Tech as soon as he bought into the appropriate system and setting. Some might view that negatively, however I take the alternative strategy, leaning as an alternative on his untapped upside.
We’re breaking down every thing it’s worthwhile to find out about Herbert from a Fantasy supervisor perspective, together with most closely fits, Dynasty outlook, measurables, scouting report, key stats and an NFL comparability.
2021 Fantasy Impression
Herbert joins a Bears backfield that features 2020 breakout second-year again David Montgomery, Damien Williams and Tarik Cohen. Whereas expectations can be excessive for Montgomery in Yr 3, it is essential to notice we have seen Chicago reduce his workload up to now with coach Matt Nagy opting to go along with totally different backs in numerous conditions. Williams was probably signed as insurance coverage for Cohen, if the latter’s return from harm takes longer than anticipated — each are more likely to be considered as passing down specialists.
For Herbert, his clearest path to enjoying time in Yr 1 comes as a change-of-pace again. Whether or not or not he can return worth on this position is solely depending on his effectiveness and whether or not that may result in a task within the pink zone. Herbert is proscribed as a receiver after hardly getting used within the passing sport at each Kansas and Virginia Tech. Nonetheless, Herbert showcased big-time YAC potential in 2020 on restricted receiving touches. It is attainable that Herbert can evolve into a much bigger contributor within the passing sport however much less more likely to occur instantly in 2021. In the end, Herbert’s redraft worth is probably going depending on accidents opening up alternatives.
Herbert’s age, late breakout in school and dimension will all be used in opposition to him within the Dynasty neighborhood. I get it — it is the character of the sport, and customarily talking, prospects who’ve these components working in opposition to them must be outliers to succeed. However let’s not miss the truth that Herbert has legit mid-4.4s pace and sport pace that permits him to interrupt away simply on movie. He additionally joins a training workers and system that matches his ability set in Chicago. You will probably have the ability to seize Herbert on the again finish of your rookie drafts with certainly one of your closing picks, and he is a lottery ticket I will be trying to purchase in each rookie draft.
- Runs extremely low to the bottom and has an awesome heart of gravity, making him extraordinarily troublesome to sort out within the open discipline.
- Herbert has a thick decrease physique and derives loads of power from his decrease half.
- Contact steadiness is among the most essential traits for any RB, and Herbert demonstrates a borderline-elite potential to remain balanced on contact.
- Herbert is extra than simply timed pace quick — he persistently breaks lengthy runs and has breakaway sport pace.
- A damaged sort out machine who creates yards after contact with ease.
- Shows glorious endurance and imaginative and prescient as a runner whereas additionally sustaining plus burst.
- Though he is being billed as a one-year marvel, he discovered his stride in 2019 with Kansas earlier than transferring (over a small four-game pattern dimension).
- Affords speedy upside on particular groups as a returner.
- Gentle on his ft, and that is most noticeable in his cuts in house.
- Spectacular potential to stop-and-start as soon as he will get rolling.
- Demonstrates the traits and toughness essential to carry up in move safety.
- Herbert will enter the NFL as an older prospect for the place and on the whole (fifth-year senior).
- Not a lot manufacturing or expertise as a receiver — simply 34 receptions in 46 profession collegiate video games.
- It isn’t clear why he ended up transferring from Kansas midseason in 2019.
- Though he has the traits to turn out to be a serviceable again in move safety, there are occasions on movie the place he appeared disinterested and unaware of the place to be in move professional.
|2020 v high 25||2||29||145||5.0||1||2||8||4.0||0|
|2019 v high 25||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Superior stats to know
(all from 2020)
- 19 carries of 15-plus yards — sixth-most within the nation
- 782 yards after contact — eighth-most within the nation
- 42 missed tackles compelled — 14th-most within the nation
Once I watch Herbert, who earned the nickname “Juice,” and it isn’t exhausting to see why, I see shades of former Jaguars RB Maurice Jones-Drew. He isn’t fairly as highly effective within the decrease half as MJD was, and he is not fairly as quick, however he has related traits to those that made Jones-Drew such a particular again within the NFL for a brief interval.